Re: Binned data & GOF tests

Tiago Marques <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:41:31 +0000

Dear Ryan, list,

The two GOF tests you mention can only be computed on exact distances,
therefore you don't see them reported in the output once you have binned
the data.

But more importantly, you can not use AIC to compare models that are fit
to different data. This includes for example different truncation
distances or different cut points for binning the data. So the fact that
the AIC's are higher for binned than non binned models does not mean the
fit is worst, it just means you cannot compare them using AIC.

Hope this helps,

Tiago

Ryan Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm analyzing some distance data using Distance v6.0.  I've run several different model
> variants, each yielding different AIC values and GOF K-S p-values.  When I look at the
> visual model fit and histograms in the model output, it is clear that I must bin my data into
> discrete units.  Once I bin the data into new intervals and rerun the models, there is no GOF
> output (Kolmogorov-Smirnov or Cramer-von Mises) to go along with it.  In addition, the
> models seem to fit better in the visual output, but the AIC and AICc values still tend to be
> higher than the non-binned models.  Has anyone else had difficulty with this, or have any
> recommendations? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ryan Choi
>
> --
> distance-sampling list home page:
>   http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/distance-sampling.html
>   or email [log in to unmask] with the following message body:
>   leave distance-sampling
> Before posting to the list, read the list guidelines at
>   http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/distance-sampling/
>     distance-sampling.welcome
> Any questions, email the list owner at
> --

Tiago André Marques
Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling
University of St Andrews
The Observatory
Buchanan Gardens
St Andrews
Fife KY16 9LZ
Scotland

Tel: 00441334461842 Fax: 00441334461800 (Scotland office)
Tel: 00351210198736 (Portugal home)

http://www-maths.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/homepages/tam2.html
http://www.creem.st-and.ac.uk/tiago/

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No
SC013532