BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  February 2010

BRITARCH February 2010

Re: Huns: Part 2

Guillermo-Sven Reher Díez <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:34:57 +0100

"I really hope that we might move away from tangled discussions about
ethnicity to just looking at the evidence, plain & simple... "
I am clearly not getting my point across. What you find is not 'evidence' in 'plain & simple' terms, it's interpretations made by the 'readers'. If you want to see it as plain & simple, as so many people do, then go ahead. But it isn't. History is all about the complexities, otherwise why the need to write it over and over again?
Again I feel you do not read our answers too carefully. I did not say Europe's flatlands were too wet, I said they were tidal, boggy or forested. Certainly not grasslands. Of course horses were used often, just like in mountain areas, hillly country and just about everywere else. I'm trying to say that 'flatness' doesn't equal grasslands and easy horseriding.
I only mentioned publication because you said initially, unless I misunderstood, that this was part of research for a novel. Your 'findings' have very weak foundations, but you seem not to care. Don't worry, I am not expecting any scientific publication on that.
Your use of the term 'multiculturalism' and its relation to some plot Marx & Lenin devised (I guess that not under the same lamplight) to destroy bourgeois civilization which is, according to you, based on ethnic identity and national loyalties seems to be much more part of your subjective belief and cosmovision, and it won't wash (cool expression, by the way). If by challenging an essential vision of ethnic identity as something unchanging and absolute in meaning and scale -as you quite clearly defend by feeling attacked when alternatives are presented- is being part of this marxist-leninist plot, then count me in, certainly, regardless of the fact I am not a commie, not even a pinko!
I believe I am not alone in this view.
Anyway, politics aside, proceed with the Huns, and let us now who is a Hun now, so we can deal with him.

> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:31:51 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Huns: Part 2
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> -David,  I really appreciate your taking time to explain things in greater detail, and for those useful references.  I think most ordinary people have a pretty clear idea of their own ethnic identity, cultural roots, and ancestral homelands.
>
> -Guillermo,  your comment about marshlands is interesting, although it's hard for me to imagine that most of Europe's flatlands were too wet for horseback riding!  By the way, if I had any intention of publishing these things, I certainly wouldn't have offered my findings freely and openly to everyone.  And yes, multiculturalism is, in fact, Cultural Marxism, also called "Stealth Marxism", recommended by Marx & Lenin as a good way to destabilize society by undermining ethnic identity and national loyalties.
>
> -Marcus,  thank you so much for providing all that vital information about the Scandinavian debate!  I hope that people will have a look at the links you provided, especially the illustrations of the Hunnic earrings.  Ulf Nasman's dismissal of the earring evidence on the basis of their Viking/Early Mediaeval dating doesn't wash, since the Huns and their descendants were still here in Norman times, and didn't just conveniently "disappear" back into the steppes after Attila's demise.
>
>    I really hope that we might move away from tangled discussions about ethnicity to just looking at the evidence, plain & simple, and I hope someone will find Hunnic earrings and mirrors here in Britain!

> > Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:08:14 +0000
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Huns: Part 2
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> >
> > For Britarch readers wishing to follow this discussion, it may be worth
> > placing it in context.
> >
> > The ideas Barbara presents tie in with a wider debate which has been
> > going on in two of the Scandinavian archaeological journals, beginning
> > with Prof. Lotte Hedeager's controversial article 'Scandinavia and the
> > Huns: An Interdisciplinary Approach to the Migration Era' in Norwegian
> > Archaeological Review Vol. 40, No. 1, 2007 (42–58).
> >
> > Two critiques of the article by James Howard-Johnston and Frands
> > Herschend appeared in the following issue along with a response from
> > Prof. Hedeager (Vol. 40, No. 2, 2007 [199–207]).
> >
> > Debate then switched to the pages of the Swedish journal Fornvännen,
> > with a scathing critique of Hedeager's article by Ulf Näsman (Vol. 103,
> > No. 2, 2008 [111–118]) to which she replied in a following issue (Vol.
> > 103, No. 4, 2008 [279–283]) and to which Näsman again responded in 2009
> > (Vol. 104, No. 1, 2009 [45–47]).
> >
> > The NAR articles are sadly not available to non-subscribers; the
> > Fornvännen articles may be downloaded for free:
> >
> > http://fornvannen.se/pdf/2000talet/2008_111.pdf
> > http://fornvannen.se/pdf/2000talet/2008_279.pdf
> [...]

Los auténticos Hotmail y Messenger en tu Blackberry con Movistar. ¡Descárgatelos ya!
http://serviciosmoviles.es.msn.com/messenger/blackberry.aspx