Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  February 2010

BRITARCH February 2010

Society for Historical Archaeology conference 2011: opportunity for early proposals

John Carman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:42:05 +0000

To our colleagues, with apologies for cross-posting, from the SHA 2011 Conference Committee:

Opportunity for Early Proposal Submission
Society for Historical Archaeology 2011 Conference
on Historical and Underwater Archaeology
The Hilton Austin, Austin, Texas
January 5 - 9, 2011

In order to encourage more international participants, the planning committee for SHA 2011 is offering an opportunity for early review of session and paper proposals. Our customary deadline for submission of proposals for SHA is in the summer, with acceptances in the early fall, but we have learned that this does not allow sufficient time for some of our international colleagues to apply for travel funds and visas. Therefore, for sessions which include international participants, we will review proposals and provide written acceptances early, in the hope that more people from outside the U.S. will be able to attend. If you are interested, read on.

If you submit a proposal to us early, we will review it and respond (via email) no later than within month of proposal submission. We can also provide our response on SHA letterhead on request, either by snail mail or as a signed PDF. If you do have a "right away" deadline let us know and we will make every effort to respond quickly. Letters for accepted proposals will indicate that the session has been accepted as part of the professional program for SHA 2011, and would indicate that the conference would take place from January 5 - 9, 2011.

However, please note that all sessions and papers would still need to be submitted (by the session organizers and individual authors) by the "regular" deadline in the "customary" fashion - either by regular mail or online, using the following timetable:

Call for Papers Opens: May 1, 2010 (to be announced in SHA's Spring Newsletter)
Online Call for Papers Available: June 1, 2010
Final Submission Deadline: July 10, 2010

Therefore precise scheduling for any given session will not be available until later in the year.

This early opportunity is available ONLY for sessions which include participants from outside the U.S.A., although all of the participants in any given session do not have to be from outside the U.S.A.

The theme for SHA 2011 is described below. For additional information about session formats, travel grants, and any other programme matters please contact the SHA 2011 Program Chair, Carol McDavid, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or International Liaison Chair, John Carman, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Conference Theme:
Boundaries and Crossroads in Action: Global Perspectives in Historical Archaeology
Over time, Texas has been variously referred to as a frontier, colony, empire, borderland, hub, republic, and state. This changing configuration of Texas' role in the modern world was shaped by multiple factors, including forced and voluntary immigrations and the attempts at empire building by various nations. The contributions of Native Americans, Euroamericans, African Americans, and peoples of diverse nationalities, including Mexicans, Germans, Spaniards, and the French, underscore the state's rich legacy. Boundaries and crossroads both conceptualize and capture the subsequent exchanges, conflicts, challenges, and accomplishments of a range of individuals and groups as they sought to establish themselves in an ever-transforming world. Yet, we are interested in a broader application of the theme and view it as related to a much wider scope of issues, questions, and practices both in the past and present.

Boundaries and crossroads evoke two distinct but related spheres of engagement and interaction, in geographical, social, and intellectual terms. While "boundaries" seek to demarcate space and cohesiveness, in reality the lines drawn are porous and subject to multiple, and often disputed, crossings. Similarly, while "crossroads," as intersections, imply points of contact and exchange, these processes are often fraught with contestation. Together, boundaries and crossroads are sites of action and simultaneously represent negotiated spaces, processes, identities and change. We propose an inclusive and more universal definition of these concepts and seek theoretical, thematic, and geographical translations of "boundaries" and "crossroads" in session papers and topics that emphasize the global nature of historical and underwater archaeology.

As sites of potential conflict, negotiation is often required when travelling across boundaries, and moving within crossroads. We see this challenge as an opportunity for enriching the discipline with regard to theory and practice, and reconceptualising traditional subject matters. For example, we recognize the need to cross geographical and intellectual boundaries to develop more global, comparative bodies of research in order to address such issues as social inequality, capitalism, trade, and alternative strategies of colonization. Sessions might interrogate the crossroads of identity formation by considering the intersection of ethnicity, gender, race, and/or class. Cultural contact is a nexus of interaction that as a process serves as a vehicle by which people construct, negotiate, and deploy boundaries and crossroads. Yet we also see boundaries and crossroads in the realm of public archaeology, where practitioners work emphatically to transgress boundaries and to establish inclusive, mutually beneficial relationships with various publics. Heritage and archaeological sites and museums often signify cultural crossroads or archaeology/public boundaries. How do we constructively negotiate these spaces? Finally, sessions might explore the boundaries between and crossroads/intersections of academic and CRM archaeology, or terrestrial and underwater archaeology, in search of more productive ways to work together.