Help for VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK Archives

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK Archives

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK Archives

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK Home

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK Home

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK  February 2010

VOL-SECTOR-STUDIES-NETWORK February 2010

ethics policies for third sector orgs

Dave Sayers <[log in to unmask]>

VSSN <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:34:38 -0000

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of developing an ethics policy for research and publications that we at Caer Las will be undertaking in the future. We're a medium sized third sector organisation looking to develop research that's grounded in client experiences; and our interests are in social action, participative inquiry, 'action research', and so on. The central concern is that all of this activity is grounded in client experience, and that clients are never just research subjects. Familiar stuff to you all I'm sure.

So, are there any examples of ethics policies held by organisations in similar positions? I've read a few by universities, but these seem weighted towards legal issues, and - to be a bit cynical - perhaps ensuring indemnity for the institution, as opposed to empowerment and control for the individual.

And does anyone have any other general tips for ethics and ethics policies? I don't mean to discount the legal aspect for example; are there fairly standard boxes to tick here and elsewhere?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Research Manager

IMPORTANT - The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The intended recipient only is authorised to access it. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender as soon as possible and delete any copies. Unauthorised use, dissemination, distribution, publication or copying of this communication is prohibited. All opinions expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily endorsed by Caer Las Cymru. Recipients are advised to apply their own virus check to this message and all incoming email on delivery.

Registered office: The Customs House, Cambrian Place, The Marina, Swansea. SA1 1RG
Registered Charity No. 504094. Company Limited by Guarantee No. 01195549. Registered in Wales as Cymdeithas Caer Las