Re: new media at the BBC

tom corby <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:05:15 +0000

text/plain

Some good points here Kelli.

I'm doing a project with the BBC at the moment of which I will post in
the coming months as it directly relates to this discussion. It's a
Leviathan, with very complex and horizontal lines of reporting. You get
the go-ahead for something from one manager that months down the line
gets overruled by someone else. That said,  as I'm working with some
incredible people,  passionate, imaginative, creative.

The issue of the visibility or otherwise of net art is complex. Firstly
as Kelli notes, it is a subset of a subset of culture. Most people "in
the real world" barely register contemporary art let alone some of the
fringe experimental work however good it is.

The second point, and I know this is going to sound a bit contentious,
is that there is a very live strain of "self-ghettoizing" in the media
art community that maybe, just maybe contributes to its isolation. This
isn't of course to deny that immanent to many of the practices we engage
in is a critique of the power structures of money, patronage etc. that
under-grids the whole artworld shebang.....