LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2010

LIB-RFID-UK February 2010

Re: Discussing integration issues

"Usher, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:25:28 -0000

'	...to take better advantage of RFID's ability to process
multiple items...'

A timely comment Mick, and if I may, I'd like to 'fork' the thread along
the RFID-LMS integration issue at a more basic, rather than strategic,
level.

We're just working up on our first RFID self-service installationprior
to going live, and have, at the first pass at tagging stock, and testing
SIP2 settings on the kiosk, appear to have fallen down the abyss!

The management objective is to push everything practical through
Self-Service - for Issue, Discharge and Renewal, with open access for
all types of stock, inc CD's and DVD's (inc sets), both music and spoken
word, and mixed items (e.g. book and CD).

Now, with magnetically-locked 'Safer' cases being deployed, I can see
this working for *issuing* such stock (one locked case, one tag, as many
parts as the 'Safer' will take), but personally I can only see this
being, at best, an 'Exception' at Renewal or Discharge, with staff to
sort out problems with missing parts afterwards, or block this and make
renewal/discharge staff mediated, so parts are checked manually.

I made a minor detour around 'Parent/Child' relationships in our LMS and
RFID systen, only to discover that the LMS was for School Library type
collections, and that tag parent/child functions are not related to LMS
parent/child, which I feel relates to:

	'...how systems managing RFID devices communicate with the
LMS...'

Now, for for mixed items, two non-metallic parts (e.g. a book and map)
could be parent/child on the tags to be checked on the kiosk in issue,
discharge and renew, but we have a problem with a book/CD combinaton.
The tags to stick on the CD's'DVD's are not generally recommended, so we
can't tag such items - the only option seems to be to put them in a
Safer, and tag the pair as parent/child. But then we have an unwieldy
combination to shelve together, and the users have to unlock one part
(or break the Safer when they get home...). So how to package such
materials, and who to do (staff or suppliers) and at what cost?

On investigation, we've found lots of multi-part queries on the shelves
which is throwing up questions about both cataloguing and item settings
in the LMS, e.g. our current item types don't always clearly identify
single or multi-part, so there may be a need to increase item types, and
inflate the loan rule set (even more...)

So how can we maximise self-service in an open access design with
multi-part items, many of which we can't tag effectively?

All contributions gratefully received!

Regards

JU