Help for LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2010

LIB-RFID-UK February 2010

Re: Interesting announcement from Civica and Bibliotheca

Johannes Rogg <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:57:36 +0100

Hi Mick,
Thanks for your valuable comments. I fully agree with your statement,
that HF is currently the frequency of choice for libraries; this is a
main reason for this announcement.

With regards to your question on encryption I have no idea where this
rumour is coming from, but Bibliotheca currently supplies to
specification required by customer and market and our standard supply is
the Danish data model with no encryption. Our BiblioChip technology
enables us to support multiple data models in the same deployment and to
rewrite chips on new models including the upcoming ISO standard on the
fly.

One more word to you blog entry from yesterday, which I enjoyed reading
very much:
You say. "To overcome this gap Civica is partnering with Bibliotheca to
offer our fully standardized HF solution based on the BiblioChip
technology and our experience and proactive standardization policy in
this area."
...which appears to imply that all Civica's existing HF based
installations are not standards based."

As you know UK market is relatively standardised and will be more so
when we can adopt the ISO standard and the UK profile. World-wide things
are broader and its important for Bibliotheca as a world-wide player to
meet these requirements whether for tags, interfacing standards or
elsewhere.

Equally as a supplier it makes our life easier of standards are adopted
so please keep evangelising standard such as ISO 28560-2. Success in
broadening adoption is good for libraries and suppliers and will reduce
costs for all in the longer term.

Best regards

Johannes Rogg
Managing Director