Help for LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2010

LIB-RFID-UK February 2010

Re: Interesting announcement from Civica and Bibliotheca

Mick Fortune <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:57:15 -0000

Hi John

No, I think it's a bit more than that. Civica Australia use both UHF and HF
frequency systems from different suppliers to interface with their LMS. If
you go for UHF you get great range and easy stocktaking but difficult
self-service and no interoperability with other LMS. If you go for HF you
get slightly more labour intensive stocktaking, very efficient self-service
operations and (soon!) the chance to use your stock with a range of
different suppliers and greater interoperability with other LMS.

What this announcement appears to say is that if you buy Civica you will
have to buy Bibliotheca - because they are being tightly integrated in a way
that will exclude the possibility of uncoupling them at a later date. So
you're locked in even tighter than you are now.

It also suggests that UHF and HF can work together - they can't, yet. If
they ever do every library that already has RFID will have to re-tag, not
just re-program.

"No more unwieldy interfaces" suggests dropping SIP - which is probably
overdue but at the moment is the only way you know you can get self-service
(and other operations) to work with different LMS. That's why we're about to
discuss how to replace it at the next BIC/CILIP meeting on March 1st.

But more puzzling is where this leaves the Axiell/Bibliotheca and
Civica/Intellident partnerships I think?

The turnkey systems I was involved with in the 80s and 90s still used a
standard protocol to hook up to self service. This is quite new I think.

Been trying to find out more but no comments from UK folks yet.

Mick

Mick Fortune
Library RFID  Ltd

m. +44 (0)7786 625544         t.   +44 (0)1865 727411     e.
[log in to unmask] w. www.libraryrfid.co.uk
Join the UK list! http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=LIB-RFID-UK
Read the Library RFID blog!  http://www.mickfortune.com/Wordpress/?page_id=2
Follow me on  -  http://twitter.com/mickfortune