Help for LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2010

LIB-RFID-UK February 2010

Re: Interesting announcement from Civica and Bibliotheca

Johannes Rogg <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:15:56 +0100

Hello Mick,

After the announcement of a cooperation between Civica and Bibliotheca
made at the VALA exhibition in Melbourne I would like to clarify some
aspects of it and the relevance for the UK market.

As you may know Civica is a strong LMS vendor in the Asian Pacific
market and also provides an UHF RFID solution. Until today, they lacked
a standard driven HF RFID portfolio. To overcome this gap Civica is
partnering with Bibliotheca to offer our fully standardized HF solution
based on the BiblioChip technology and our experience and proactive
standardization policy in this area.

HF is the standardized solution for RFID in Libraries, and Bibliotheca
is a leading company in this area with over 580 installations world-wide
based on HF and standardized technology. As for UHF, Bibliotheca remains
strongly focussed on research in all areas of RFID and we see the
relationship with Civica and access to and involvement with UHF
solutions and research as potentially interesting for the future and in
meeting specialized needs of some institutions.

The announced strong relationship of Civica and Bibliotheca gives Civica
customers in the UK the advantage that a Bibliotheca RFID HF solution
based on the current standards will be tightly integrated into the
Civica LMS.

This press release also underlines that in the worldwide Library market
we see a supplier consolidation, similar to what has already happened in
other IT markets with only the strong players surviving. Bibliotheca is
well positioned to help this consolidation.

Bibliotheca is working within the UK BIC standardisation working group
to extend the RFID/LMS interface specification (web services). With this
Civica/Bibliotheca partnership the market will see a set of additional
services desired by many Libraries.

To summarize, the announcement will affect the UK market, but in a
positive way with stronger value for UK Civica customers who have chosen
Bibliotheca RFID products.

Kind regards

Johannes Rogg
Managing Director