Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Response

Alison Croggon <[log in to unmask]>

British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:18:39 +1100

text/plain

One review down so I can play some football.

I also said there were no hard and fast distinctions. It's like
discussing the differences between poetry and prose: the more you
look, the more elusive they are.

But as a general rule of thumb, yes, for me, art is what exceeds
practical function. So a chair might be a chair, something you can sit
on without it falling over, and it may also be an art object: but what
makes it an art object is not its practical function, but its
expressicity. (Sorry, can't think of a better word, although I'm sure
they're out there). Realise I'm saying that art is useless, but in
those terms of usefulness, I think it is. Muriel Rukeyser talks about
the "use" of poetry in her series of essays on The Life of Art, in
ways I thought illuminating, so it's not as if those effects, whatever
they are, are without use. Of course there are uses for expressivity.
But - as you will know in talking to any arts bureaucrat - the devil
is in the measuring of that use. It doesn't match function in any
graphable way, although, believe me, some people have done their best.

xA