Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Can you rocker Romany?

Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]>

British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:02:25 +0000

text/plain

Robin,

I don't know much about this from the linguistic point of view. I
think it may be an area in which the boundaries must be quite fuzzy,
e.g. between language, dialect, cant and idiolect.  I particularly
suspect that words collected as linguistic or dialect vocabulary may
sometimes be idiolect, restricted to a particular family, clan or
group. Rom language is always liable to be interpreted as thieves'
cant by those who don't understand it.  A lot depends on the extent to
which gypsies or travellers form a "people", which is a highly
contentious subject, but certainly the fewer of them there are around
the more difficult an ethnical identity becomes, and the historical
basis of a pseudo-nationalist identity seems to be insecure.

My own interest is in the formation of quite deep obscurity in song
(all song is more or less obscure) as it is passed from generation to
generation whether across linguistic boundaries or not (and a lot of
it is), and the happy deployment of the ethnically
"inappropriate"  (perhaps 'lily-white breast' in a Rom context for
instance) in songs which remain entirely social in function -- I mean
they are sung for "us", not for any external factor such as an audience.

So anyway without knowing anything about it really, I'd suggest you're
trouble with "bing" might be attributable to (a) The uncertainties I
suggest above  (b) The circulation of dialect terms among collectors
and scholars (is there a thesis on this anywhere I wonder?)  (c) The
fact that gypsies move around. There are songs thought of as
"Scottish" which have been recorded in Kent (sung e.g. by Phoebe
Smith)  not to mention country-&-western numbers surfacing in
Aberdeenshire. (d) Terms found in songs are not necessarily current in
speech. McColl and Seeger quickly established this by asking a singer
what a word "meant" to find that she had no idea, as I recall.

Davie Stewart is a great singer. Have you heard his "Bogie's Bonny
Belle"?

Hope this work of yours reaches a published finality one day.

Peter