*CALL FOR PAPERS*
The Biographical Narrative in 21st Century Film and Television
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
POSTGRADUATE SEMINAR SERIES
THURSDAY 27TH MAY & THURSDAY 3RD JUNE 2010
This seminar series welcomes proposals for papers from postgraduate students that consider the biographical narrative, the ‘Biopic’, in cinema and television of the last decade.
Despite its status as one of the most commercially and critically successful film and television genres of the 21st Century the Biopic, and its recent resurgence, has received relatively little scholarly attention; Carolyn Anderson and John Lupo in the introduction to the 'Journal of Popular Film and Television’s special issue on Biopics describe the form as an ‘overlooked, underappreciated genre whose [...] manifestations deserve new and rigorous scrutiny.’ This seminar series aims address the need for a reconsideration of the Biopic and its place in contemporary popular culture.
Submissions of abstracts of 250-300 words for papers of 20 minutes in length are invited.
Possible topics for papers include, but are by no means limited to:
• Biopics and national/international histories
• Biopics and the question of ‘authenticity’
• Biopics and celebrity
• Biographical films and nostalgia
• Biopics and their representations of race, gender, sexuality.
• Postmodern, ironic Biopics and the role of the biographical film in contemporary US Independent cinema.
• Biopics and the ‘auteur’
• Star personas and the portrayal of the biographical subject
• The biographical television series and the place of the Biopic in contemporary television programming.
• Biographical documentaries
• The biographical narrative in European and World cinemas.
Please submit abstracts by 31st March 2009 to Victoria Kearley, [log in to unmask]
PhD Candidate in Film
University of Southampton
Southampton SO17 1JB
Email: [log in to unmask]