MCG January 2010

Kids in Museums 2010 Manifesto

Samantha Self <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:32:01 +0000

Hi all,

I actually volunteer and work for Kids in Museums and I note with interest the
press release that Nick has posted on here and the ensuing discussions

I am a member of MCG and have for a long time researched and supported the
use of digital interactives within a heritage, specifially museum, environment.
When the press release was constructed I pointed out to Dea that perhaps
we would stir things up slightly.  Having completed research myself that shows
that young people LOVED a 3D computer game rendition of a museum in the
North of England (which improved engagement and learning about their
objects) from my experience digital interactives are still well received however
I agree that we shouldn't have technology for technology's sake.

Just to be clear our manifesto says

"13: Be interactive and hands on, not only with computer screens and fancy
gadgets.  Dressing up and getting messy are as important as buttons to push."

Perhaps the press release goes slightly further and could be seen to imply that
the manifesto is rejecting digital for 'real'.  However this isn't the case.

Kids in Museums took the information from responses to our current Guardian
Family Friendly Award.  Families, parents, children, grandparents, curators,
education and learning staff all wrote in a told us what they liked about their
favourite/nominated museum and that's when we noticed that quite a few
mentioned getting 'real' and 'messy' and very few mentioned wonderful digital
interactives.  We felt this was an important point worth raising and including
within our manifesto for museums to consider.

We welcome healthy debate here at Kids in Museums and there have been
some interesting points made so thanks for that.  If you would like a copy of
the manifesto do get in touch at [log in to unmask] or check
out or web site www.kidsinmuseums.org.uk where you should be able to
download a PDF of the manifesto.

Samantha