CCP4BB  December 2009

CCP4BB December 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Coot pudding? (a.k.a N-linked carbohydrate addition)

Robbie Joosten <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:05:53 +0100

text/plain

Dear Herman,

> Some time ago, I had similar experiences with attached sugars. My
> impression was that the added LINK cards were ignored unless the ND2-C1
> distance in the model was very close to the ideal distance. Due to the
> automatic determination of chirality, I ended up for some sugars with
> the wrong chirality, which I still have to correct. The idea of using a
> well-refined glycan as a template is a good one, which I definitively
> will try.
In (recent versions of) Refmac the LINK records do their job iff you
choose the right settings. I admit it is not the default, but 'make sugar
NO' works fine for me as long as the LINK(R) records are correct.

> Fact is that attached sugars generally have multiple conformations and
> significant disorder and by just fitting them to the available blobs in
> density it is easy to end up with wrong conformations.
It is easy to get things wrong, I agree, but that is also true for some
parts of the protein. We still try to build them. When the disorder is too
bad you probably don't want to build that part of the structure. Discrete
multiple conformations (haven't seen many for carbs) can be built and
refined if the restraints are chosen with care.

> In addition, the
> sugars are in general completely irrelevant to the medical or biological
> question one wants to solve with the crystal structure, so one would
> like to waste as little time as possible with the fitting and refinement
> of those sugars.
Exageration: "Wasting time is never good, that is why I only build the
active site of proteins and leave the rest of the structure to the
imagination of others."
It would be pretty scary if people would deposit such structures. The fact
is that carbs may not answer YOUR question, they may very well answer the
research questions of other users of your structure. That is a key point
of depositing structures: allowing others to use them for their research.
Without wasting resources to solve the structure again.

Carbohydrates play important roles in protein folding, multimerisation and
stability. The particular nastiness of the Spanish flu was also linked to
the carbohydrates in neuraminidase (Wu ZL, Ethen C, Hickey GE, Jiang W
(2009) Active 1918 pandemic flu viral neuraminidase has distinct N-glycan
profile and is resistant to trypsin digestion. Biochem Biophys Res Commun
379(3):749–753). Carbs can be very interesting for some of us.

> For this, we need robust definitions of the geometry of the sugars and
> the links to the protein. This could be in the form of special residues
> like BMA, or by specific LINK cards. Important is that they enforce the
> correct geometry, even if the fitted conformation is far off from what
> it should be.
These defenitions already exist. One should not expect Refmac to do magic.
It is a refinement program which tries to optimise stuff we build. This is
understandably garbage-in/garbage-out.

That said, you make a very clear case for the improvement of current
carbohydrate building algoriths. There has already been a lot of
improvement in that field lately, so I'm sure we'll get there.

Best wishes,
Robbie Joosten