Help for WINDOWS-UK Archives

WINDOWS-UK Archives

WINDOWS-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WINDOWS-UK Home

WINDOWS-UK  December 2009

WINDOWS-UK December 2009

Knobbling Office 2007 Spellchecking for examinations

Gwil Selwood <[log in to unmask]>

Support issues for windows in UK HE & FE <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:46:28 +0000

hello

recently came across problems at Leeds and Newcastle stopping Office 2007
UK spellchecking despite applying GPOs . THe application heals itself in many
cases and there are several ways to invoke the spellchecker

For anyone else having issues, the first of these approaches worked for us.
We are trying the second in a test environment ( I think that we have the
older GPO templates and have not updated them)

method 1

YOu will need the xcacls.vbs file and the xcacls utilities in the same folder as
a cmd file with these statements in :-

This disables English spellchecking
cscript.exe "%~dp0xcacls.vbs" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
\NLSDATA0009.DLL" /E /R BUILTIN\Users /I COPY
cscript.exe "%~dp0xcacls.vbs" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
\NLSLEXICONS0009_SP.dll" /E /R BUILTIN\Users /I COPY
cscript.exe "%~dp0xcacls.vbs" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
\NLSMODELS0009.dll" /E /R BUILTIN\Users /I COPY

the files for other languages will be similarly named but will have another
number in their name ie  0007.dll etc etc

the enable script is like this:-
@echo off

cscript.exe "%~dp0xcacls.vbs" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
\NLSDATA0009.DLL" /I ENABLE

cscript.exe "%~dp0xcacls.vbs" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
\NLSLEXICONS0009_SP.dll" /I ENABLE

cscript.exe "%~dp0xcacls.vbs" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
\NLSMODELS0009.dll" /I ENABLE

Method 2

stops the ribbon buttons:-
I have been looking into your call and have come up with the following:
1.	Please download and import the group policy administration template
for Word 2007 into Group Policy Manager from the following link:
2007 Office system Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX, ADML) and
Office Customization Tool version 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
displaylang=en&FamilyID=92d8519a-e143-4aee-8f7a-e4bbaeba13e7
2.	Now please download the following document and extract it:
2007 Office System Document: Lists of Control Ids
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4329D9E9-4D11-
46A5-898D-23E4F331E9AE&displaylang=en
3.	Once you have extracted it, open “WordRibbonControls.xlsx” file you
will find a lot of Controls with their Control ID that are within Word, we can
use these Control IDs to disable the associated Control.
4.	Edit a newly Created / Existing GPO,
5.	Under “User Configuration/Administrative Templates”
expand “Microsoft Office Word 2007” to find “Custom” under “Disable Items in
User Interface”.
6.	Double click “Disable commands”.
7.	Click “Enable” and click “Show”.
8.	Please add “2566” (this Control ID is associated with the Spell and
Grammar button therefore disabling the Spell Check Button) and click OK.
You may want add the Control IDs 11540 which disable the whole Review
Menu, and 15780 which disables the Spelling Menu