PHD-DESIGN December 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: On the PhD thesis

Lubomir Savov Popov <[log in to unmask]>

Lubomir Savov Popov <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:27:47 -0500

text/plain

Dear colleagues,

I enjoy this interesting discussion and cannot help joining it. I will try to state in brief some ideas and considerations.

You all know that I have particular views about the nature of design and research, making a dissertation by design, doing research by design, and so forth. While many designers believe that design is research and designers are the greatest researchers (sorry for the exaggeration), I stand for my view that design and research are two different realms with very different ways of thinking. I believe that this is the key and the stepping stone for resolving all issues regarding the relationships between design and research.

I particularly rejoice one piece from the original post from Don:

"A piece of work only constitutes an advancement in knowledge when it has been abstracted and generalized into a framework that can be tested, studied, and then built-upon for the creation of an enduring body of knowledge and understanding."

You might remember that at the on-line conference on experiential knowledge in 2006 I talked about similar models, providing examples from the engineering disciplines and suggesting that this might be the way to resolve all these design research problems and conundrums that we discuss in the last ten years.

The design/project by itself doesn't produce new knowledge. It is our reflection on it, and in particular on the process of its creation, that produces new knowledge. In this regard, I referred to Don's ideas for abstracting and generalizing and producing a framework, etc.

In the engineering disciplines in some cultures, the doctorates (equivalent to Ph.D.) presuppose the design of a new artifact/product, supported by several patents, and in addition, stipulate the reflection on and the explication of the process of creating the artifact. The literature review and the methodology are required as means to externalize better and to support the creative process. The assessment of the artifact functioning is highly encouraged in order to demonstrate that the new design is substantially better than existing options.

My idea is that the same model can be applied in the arts. Paining a great picture is still not knowledge production. Reflecting on the philosophy behind this picture, the method of thinking of the artist (dissertator), and so on, can constitute the philosophical part/dissertation. I have nothing against great artists. Actually, I admire them more than the researchers. However, I have a problem when someone paints a picture and wants to get a Ph.D. Here we face several questions: is it necessary to have a Ph.D.; does it helps in the artistic professions; etc. My personal opinion is that particular types of topics might facilitate the development of artistic philosophy and understanding, while other topics (and methodologies) might stagnate it. We can argue about this. However, let's look at a couple of precedent situations. If Corbusier, Wright, Gropius, and several other landmark architects have reformatted their publications, they could have easily complied with the highest requirements for obtaining a Ph.D. in architecture. They have created a new way of thinking, they have reflected on it, and they have critically analyzed past architectural developments. Even Mies van der Rohe who hasn't published much could have written down on paper all his talks and discussions and could have left us an example of dissertational excellence.

The problem with the dissertations is much more than the problem with the criteria and standards for awarding the degrees. It is about knowledge production in the core areas of the "creative" disciplines. I can't find now a better term. I am envisaging more than procedural knowledge, but less than the engagement with user needs research or semiotics. These areas involve traditional social science rationality. And between the process and the product reflections we can develop a scale of transitional formats. It is a long talk and I will stop here.

Best wishes,

Lubomir Popov, Ph.D.

Bowling Green State University