Help for MOODLE-UK Archives

MOODLE-UK Archives

MOODLE-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MOODLE-UK Home

MOODLE-UK  December 2009

MOODLE-UK December 2009

Re: Some food for thought about Google Wave

"McCabe, John" <[log in to unmask]>

UK Moodle Users JISCMail list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:18:13 -0000

What a rant!

We (naturally) have firefox installed by default on all desktops because staff and students wanted it. You tube is available because media studies wanted it. (Thankfully we are not in Scotland, so "You Tube" is not an insult.)

Social networking sites are a problem because students tend to use them to the exclusion of their academic studies. I've moved on from teaching into admin, but I well remember in the early nineties when we had a local e-mail server watching a class (of males) busily spending time sending each other (rather inane) e-mails across a room. As far as I (and the IT support staff) can see the situation has little changed.

The problem is not support staff, it is the perceived waste of time by students who look up the latest party rather than doing anything useful.

John McCabe
CMIS Manager
East Norfolk Sixth Form College

> Google Wave can only be run in Firefox., Safari or Chrome. However,
> most of the FE colleges and schools still only have installed Explorer
> and do not grant any administration rights to their staff, either
> academic and support staff. The only staff who can install Firefox and
> test Google Wave are IT support staff. That means that, if an FE
> lecture wants to explore the possibilities of Google Wave in education,
> to catch up with their colleages in Europe, he-she needs to ask their
> line manager to send an email to the IT manager, begging to install
> Firefox for educational purposes.
>
> I am not talking science fiction. I am doing some website revamping
> work in a college and that is what is happening here. I am lucky that I
> have been allow to connect my own  laptop (otherwise, I cannot do any
> work) as the academic staff are not allow either a) bring their own
> laptops b) install any additional program in their PCs without asking
> permision in writing first (which also includes Firefox). YouTube,
> Vimeo, Facebook,  and any other "obsolete" web 2.0 tool, are not
> allowed either.
>
> Again, the security policies implemented in the UK are acting as a
> deterrent to innovate in a non University environment, and not because
> the academic and support staff working in colleges and schools are not
> as keen and good as their colleges in Universities, but because the
> institution framework simply does not give any room for innovation and
> improvisation. As I see it, those students  who are not lucky enough to
> go to the University do not have access to the same educational tools
> and elearning choices that the university students.
>
> For me this is not "an inclusive education".
>
> Regards
>
> Mari
>

> On mar 1/12/09 13:17 , Matthew Argyle [log in to unmask] sent:
>

> 	I am in for a moodle/google wave (moogle wave?)
>
> 	Matt.
>

> 	On 01/12/2009 12:00, "Michael Green" <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>

> 		There are similar contacts being made on the IT Champions
> list - I've suggested there that they try and get one big wave going
> that everyone can join in on if they want, to give it a thorough trial
> and perhaps even create some useful collaboration and content along the
> way.  Does anyone fancy running a similar thing for here - A Moodle
> Wave? I'm just about to start Waving myself and would love to join in
> on such a thing.
>
> 		Mike Green
> 		Moodle Admin
> 		Sixth Form College Solihull
>

> ________________________________

East Norfolk Sixth Form College Disclaimer:
This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged.
It is for the exclusive use of the addressee.
If you are not the addressee please note that any distribution, reproduction, copying, publication or use of this communication or the information is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please contact us immediately and also delete the communication from your computer.
Reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present.
We do not accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this communication or its attachments.
Tel.: 01493 662234
Fax.: 01493 441405
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.enorf.ac.uk
Address: Church Lane, Gorleston, Norfolk, NR31 7BQ

Scanned by Sophos ES1000 for East Norfolk Sixth Form College