Help for CCP4BB Archives

CCP4BB Archives

CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CCP4BB Home

CCP4BB  December 2009

CCP4BB December 2009

Re: FW: pdb-l: Retraction of 12 Structures....

Ibrahim Moustafa <[log in to unmask]>

Ibrahim Moustafa <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:30:53 -0500

You are absolutely right, more information describing to what extents these
structures were falsified will be valuable to the community. Actually, it
will be more useful if the investigators can publish their report as an
article in Acta D (as a case study for tracking falsified structures).

  I have a suggestion (actually a request) to the expertise in the field to
write a kind of review article about "sources of error in crystallography
and how to hunt these errors". It will be even better if it is written
considering the non-crystallographers (scientists who use the structural
information - like the co-authors on structural papers). This will help to
educate the non-crystallographers how to look at the structures critically.

  Ibrahim

--

Ibrahim M. Moustafa, Ph.D.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Dept.

Tel. (814) 863-8703
Fax (814) 865-7927