Help for PROGRESS2SUCCEED Archives

PROGRESS2SUCCEED Archives

PROGRESS2SUCCEED@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PROGRESS2SUCCEED Home

PROGRESS2SUCCEED  November 2009

PROGRESS2SUCCEED November 2009

Lifelong learning in the later part of the lifecourse

Anita Pincas <[log in to unmask]>

Anita Pincas <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:11:20 +0000

Dear colleagues

This is to say that if you are interested in studying the lifecourse of
older people, especially their learning, applications for the Institute
of Education's innovative new short CPD course in this field will close at the
end of the term.

We will take a very broad approach to current research into the many different
contexts that impact upon the later periods of the lifecourse and will consider
questions such as
- How do people develop in later life?
- What, if anything, is special about the mature experience and capacity to
learn?
- Can wisdom be defined?
- Does intellectual activity help to maintain health?
- How can later life learning be best supported, and to what extent is critical
geragogy relevant?
- How are cultural/ethnic differences relevant?
- What are the appropriate methods of researching the lifecourse, e.g. how
can we evaluate longitudinal studies or life reminiscences?

Many resources will be provided around these topics, and you will be
encouraged and helped to focus on your own particular interests.

We start with a weekend meeting at the Institute on Saturday 27 - Sunday 28
February, 2010, where the key themes are introduced and you share your
thoughts and experiences.. Among our guest speakers:
Dr. Ricca Edmundson will describe the humanist background to her new book:
Valuing Older People*;
Professor Richard Wiggins will present his latest findings on labour market exit,
volunteering, and caring.;;
Dr, Andrea Creech will discuss the benefits of learning music in later life.

After the weekend, we will collaborate online for several weeks.

The fee is 688 by bank transfer, credit card or instalments.

If you wish to ask anything, please contact me at

Best regards
Anita
Anita Pincas, Senior Lecturer, Department of Continuing and Professional
Education
Institute of Education,
University of London.

*  Valuing older people - A humanist approach to ageing  Ricca Edmundson &
Hans-joachim von Kondratowitz (2009) The Polity Press