Re: Mining History books in Spanish

John Knight <[log in to unmask]>

The mining-history list.

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:17:15 EST

Tony:

I am peripherally involved with the recently established "Museo de la
Siderurgia y la Mineria de Castilla y Leon" situated in the building of the old
iron works at Sabero, province of Leon in Northern Spain (for a number of
years  I was Company Geologist of Hulleras de Sabero y Anexas SA, the Sabero c
oal  mining company, and later as Consultant, and remain a part-time
resident of  Sabero).

I think that your Spanish language books on the mining history of Asturias
(and I note also the associated ironworks) would be extremely welcome in
the  reference section maintained at the Sabero museum, which is supported by
the  regional government of Castilla y Leon.  The Sabero coal-mining and
ironworks were closely associated with the Asturian mining industry and many
of  the coal-mining personnel who worked in the Sabero iron and mining
industry came  down from Asturias.

I will be pleased to pay postage and packing; probably best to my UK  home
address and then I would undertake to despatch to Sabero (I would probably
need to make several phone calls to ensure that they are ready to receive
them).

For general info on the Museum and mining history
_http://valledesabero.es/ticcih.htm_ (http://valledesabero.es/ticcih.htm)

This site provides a range of information on the mining history and  museum
in Sabero, also the abstract of a good general work (click  "Ferreria") -
"The San Blas ironworks in Sabero, Leon: the first coke blast  furnace in
Spain".  Also extensive information on the "Museo de  la Siderurgia y la
Mineria de Castilla y de Leon" on Wikipedia.

Let me know if this suits your plans for the books.  Also let me know
how/when to send you the cost of p&p by cheque.

Kind regards

John Knight
2 Church Street
Shirland
Alfreton
Derbyshire
DE55 6BJ

Tel: 01773 836253

e-mails:  [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   or