Help for LIS-E-RESOURCES Archives

LIS-E-RESOURCES Archives

LIS-E-RESOURCES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-E-RESOURCES Home

LIS-E-RESOURCES  November 2009

LIS-E-RESOURCES November 2009

Re: FW: [LIS-E-RESOURCES] Adis Introduces Tiered Pricing for 2010

Helen Henderson <[log in to unmask]>

An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Nov 2009 07:42:47 -0500

Lesley

As you say, there is no standard way of tiering institutions globally. When
we were starting the Ringgold database, we looked at all the possible
metrics used and none of them are consistent or global (even Carnegie and
JISC are skewed because they are based on type of academic institution and
government funding). At Ringgold we eventually took the HighWire Shop for
Journal tiers and have modified them to come up with a standard tier that we
apply to the 155,000 institutions (and parts of institutions) in our
database. Publishers are starting to use this as the basis for their pricing
as it is open and consistent). The NISO Working Group on Institutional
Identifiers is also working on assigning unique identifiers to institutions
which can then be consistently linked to a standard tier that is applied by
all publishers and agents.

Here's hoping

Helen

Helen L Henderson