JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  October 2009

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER October 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Would you mind suggesting?

Alan Rayner <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:19:13 +0100

Dear Je Kan and Susan,

Yes, whatever language helps to evoke the inclusional mental imagery is
fine by me. I can well see that 'edges' can work better for some than
'boundaries' and vice versa, depending on background.

The difficulty is that it is very easy to use language that evokes or
re-inforces the intransigent non-inclusional imagery of local discrete
objects surrounded by/occupying/distanced by/travelling through space. This
is what I work so very hard to try to avoid, if not always successfully.

I realized a couple of years ago that one of the key distinctions (but not
definitions/dichotomies)it is necessary to make is between 'contiguity' and
'continuity', and correspondingly between 'informational connectivity' and
'spatial communion'. Space in my mental imagery doesn't 'connect' things:
space pools all simultaneously together in limitless (infinite)
non-resistant (receptive) depth. Since space is a presence, not an absence,
and is continuous throughout all (i.e. doesn't stop at discrete
limits/edges/boundaries), no thing can be singled out from its spatial
neighbourhood as an isolated object. This doesn't mean to say that
everything is in IMMEDIATE informational contact/connected/contiguous with
everything else, whether visibly or invisibly. The degree of resistive
informational connectivity is variable and reconfigurable in a fluid
evolutionary cosmos.

This is explained further in the attached paper, where what is involved in
'attuning to the same flow-length' is 'touched upon'.

The problem of using 'logic' to explain this is where the 'logic' itself
intransigently shuts down (and/or arises from shut down)mental imagery of
reality. That is, the problem arises where the logic is conventionally
definitive (dialectic or propositional) based on the implicit or explicit
premise that space stops and starts at discrete limits. This does not apply
to the fluid logic of 'natural inclusion', where each dynamically includes
the other's influence in the natural communion of receptive space.

What I am saying is that I think you might find it works better to find a
way of distinguishing between 'connectivity'/'contiguity' and
'communion'/'continuity' in your explications [as I did after some years of
inadvertently conflating the two].

Warmest

Alan

--On 08 October 2009 09:24 +0900 Dr Je Kan Adler-Collins