Help for CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY Archives

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY Archives

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY Home

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY  October 2009

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY October 2009

Roundup of the CSRG Symposium on Monday 7th and Tuesday 8th September 2009

"Parkin, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Oct 2009 16:18:05 +0100

Dear all,

It has been suggested to me that I summarise the outcomes from the CSRG symposium held at the University of Bolton on 7th - 8th September 2009. I am in the difficult position of having lost the notes I took on the Tuesday morning, I am afraid. I have been putting it off, hoping they may turn up, but they have not.

Fourteen papers were presented on the Monday as noted below. The papers were paired and the themes were as follows: promotion, community, citizenship, evaluation, monitoring and appraisal, infrastructure, the bicycle. The abstracts, and some papers, depending on the authors' willingness, will be mounted on the CSRG website at some future point by Peter Cox. (email Peter Cox for further details [log in to unmask]).

On the Tuesday morning we had a wide ranging discussion and I will attempt simply to list some of the main points and outcomes. I would value others who were there adding to or correcting any points noted below.

- Andrew Millward of the Charity 'Cycling and Countryside Trust' was present and summarised the nature of the charity and the fact that it is changing its objects and will in future more specifically be supporting educational and research work, but in a modest way. We are grateful to Andrew for the financial support he provided to the symposium at UWE. The balance from that was passed to Bolton, and I will be passing a balance on to Oxford (see below).
- Marie Kastrup, who is the programme coordinator for Velo-city Copenhagen 2010, was present and outlined the very creative way that the organisers are trying to ensure that the conference is truly global, and to ensure that the academic community and the cultural nature of the conference are both well supported. They are also very keen to ensure that the conference will be a learning experience for all involved.
- Tim Jones has volunteered to organise the 2010 conference and this will be hosted by the Transport Studies Unit at the University of Oxford. Prospective dates are 6th and 7th September 2010.
- There were wide ranging discussions on a variety of academic, quasi-academic, and organisational matters, but I am not precisely sure anything concrete came of these. I stand to be corrected.

Papers:

BARTLE, Caroline, AVINERI, Erel and CHATTERJEE, Kiron	Enhancing "grass-routes" knowledge: a case study of online information-sharing among cyclists in Bristol
SHERWIN, Henrietta and PARKHURST, Graham	Bike-sharing schemes: opportunities and challenges of implementation
SHERIFF, Graeme and ABEL, Peter	Encouraging more people to cycle to work: can the voluntary sector be a catalyst?
SPINNEY, Justin	Mobilising sustainability: partnership working between a pro-cycling NGO and local government in London (UK)
KÅSTRUP, Marie	Identity and bicycle culture - a Danish perspective
ALDRED, Rachel	Cycling citizenship: views from the outside?
JONES, Tim, CHISOLM, Alison, HARWATT, Helen, HORTON, David, JOPSON, Ann, POOLEY, Colin, SCHELDEMAN, Griet, and TIGHT, Miles.	Understanding Walking and Cycling: A Multi-Method Approach to Investigating Household Decision Making in Relation to Short Journeys in Urban Areas.
CHATTERJEE, Kiron, HARDIN, Jeremy, VINER, Kate and RACE, Hannah.	Measuring the outcomes of the Cycling City and Towns Programme: Meeting the research challenges with a household panel survey
MOORE, Jane	TravelWise Merseyside abstract: Evaluation of bikeability cycle training in Merseyside
PAGE, Matthew	Making decisions about cycling - issues in appraisal
CALLAGHAN, Ian	Cyclists' experiences of using Shared Space- a cross-cultural comparison of the Netherlands and the UK.
DEEGAN, Brian	What impact has the London Cycle Network project had on London's social climate?
PARKIN, John	The humps and the bumps: objective measurement using an instrumented bicycle
COX, Peter	Energy and the bicycle - Human powered vehicles in perspective

Regards
Dr John Parkin
Reader in Transport Engineering and Planning
University of Bolton, Deane Road, Bolton BL3 5AB UK
t:+44 (0)1204 903 027 m:+44 (0)7903 523 017
w: http://data.bolton.ac.uk/staff/jp10/