Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  October 2009

BRITARCH October 2009

Debating Archaeology re-released with a new Preface

"Caryn M. Berg" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:45:37 -0600

Debating Archaeology now in paperback with a new Preface by the author...

New From Left Coast Press, Inc. A 15% discount on web orders to the U.S. at
www.LCoastPress.com.

Debating Archaeology

Lewis R. Binford

1989 (re-released August 2009), 556 pages, $39.95 Paper

"It is my hope that the articles in Debating Archaeology are still relevant
to a new generation of archaeologists as examples of strategies I have used
to utilize what we know in order to learn something  new about a past we
cannot observe.

-Lewis R. Binford, in the new Preface to Debating Archaeology

"This book is a 'must-read' for students of both archaeology and
anthropology in that it questions the 'taken for granteds' so often
indoctrinated into their theoretical frame of reference."

-Nexus

"To his many admirers he is the greatest archaeological thinker of his
generation and a true prophet... These chapters are full of robust common
sense and, as an exercise in debunking theoretical pretention, are a delight
to read... In future histories of archaeology, Binford... certainly deserves
a place as a teacher and polemicist, a person who has forced us all to
think."

-Nature

"This third collection of articles by arguably the most important
archaeologist and prehistorian of the last three decades follows Binford's
An Archaeological Perspective and Working at Archaeology ... Like all of
Binford's work, this collection deserves close reading."

-CHOICE

"He makes us think, and no scholar can ask for higher praise than that."

- Plains Anthropologist

In this volume, the founder of processual archaeology, Lewis R. Binford
collects and comments on the twenty-eight substantive papers published in
the 1980's, the third in his set of collected papers (also Working at
Archaeology and An Archaeological Perspective). This ongoing collection of
self-edited papers, together with the extensive and very candid interstitial
commentaries, provides an invaluable record of the development of "The New
Archaeology" and a challenging view into the mind of the man who is
certainly the most creative archaeological theorist of our time. A new 2009
foreword by Binford reflects on the importance of these articles to later
developments in the field.

To order, visit our website at

http://lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=248

ISBN:  978-1-59874-455-2 (p)

PRICE:

$39.95 (U.S.), $47.95 (Canadian), 20.99

Join Left Coast Press online at:

http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/Left-Coast-Press-Inc/26366019052?ref=ts

https://twitter.com/LeftCoastPress

If you have any questions, please contact Caryn Berg at