Help for ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCHIVES-NRA Home

ARCHIVES-NRA  October 2009

ARCHIVES-NRA October 2009

BRITISH LIBRARY SOUND ARCHIVING INTERNSHIPS 2009-2010

"Draper, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>

Draper, Jonathan

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:56:45 +0100

Sent on behalf of Alison Faraday of the British Library.

The British Library is pleased to announce the second round of recruitment for
its third year of internships in sound archiving,

These four internships are aimed at those wanting to develop a comprehensive
understanding of technical skills and are open to individuals who wish to
improve their practical skills and who work in an institution that has the
responsibility for the archiving of audiovisual materials.  Successful candidates
will be selected in part on the basis of their ability to demonstrate the benefits
of the internship to their professional development.

The internships will take place in the Centre for Conservation at the British
Library’s flagship site in London.  Each internship runs for a period of ten
weeks; two internships will start in January 2010 and two will start in April
2010.

Interns will not receive any remuneration such as a living allowance or bursary
so are required to meet their own living, accommodation and personal travel
expenses.  Interns are also responsible for making their own travel
arrangements.

The internships combine training along with project work.  A series of training
modules will be offered on working with different audio carriers, and will include
an introduction to the basics of audio theory, archiving standards and
protocols and documentation.  The project work is based upon existing audio
collections held in the British Library. Please note that each intern will be
supervised by a British Library archivist throughout their internship and work
will be monitored on a regular basis.

Jonathan Draper, Archivist at Norfolk Record Office who completed his sound
archiving internship in 2009 said:  “The internship has given me the wonderful
opportunity to have the time to focus on best practice in sound archiving.
The experience has given me courage in my convictions and confirmed that a
lot of what I am doing is right, whilst suggesting areas of improvement.”

How to Apply

For further information please contact Alison Faraday, Sound Archiving
Internships, The British Library, Centre for Conservation, 96 Euston Road,
London NW1 2DB, email [log in to unmask] or phone +44 (0)20 7412 7776.

The closing date for applications is 30 October 2009 and interviews will be held
week commencing 9 November 2009.