purchasing heavy atom clusters

Engin Ozkan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:06:20 -0700

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know a place to order heavy atom clusters, say with >=6
heavy atoms, in the US, preferably? Except for the Ta6Br14 cluster
(through Mitegen in the US), I don't know a good place to buy them (we
don't heavy any friends in an inorganic chemistry lab, and I already
have made enough enemies in the lab for working with organic
mercurials). What I am looking for would be things like Nb6, Au11, W12
or W17 clusters or anything of that sort.

On a related point, I would appreciate any pointers, especially on
software like shelx, sharp, solve, and mlphare, on treating clusters at
resolutions where the heavy atoms are not resolved (at 6A or worse).
Until now, I've had much better luck just working on the Patterson
myself, and heavy atom searches and heavy atom position refinement with
software seem to invariably mess up the sites. Treating heavy metal
clusters as point scatterers is the preferred way in the literature, but
this could be implemented a few different ways. Any opinions are
appreciated.

Thanks,
Engin

--