Re: iPhone Apps

Dan Martin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:09:18 +0100

Yes you're right, a web app can (and should) of course degrade in terms of
functionality to still cover older devices and software, which is key to
good coverage and accessibility, and your suggestion of user-inputed
addressing info is a good one. Sounds like you're doing some good work on
your projects.

I also saw this earlier on mashable http://mashable.com/2009/09/22/micello/
which I thought takes this type of mapping app a little further and applies
it to building interiors. Am now planning to look at how we might create a
web version. Have you done or looked at anything similar - would be
interested to hear?

Best,
Dan

Dan Martin| Marketing Director | Chameleon Net
www.linkedin.com/in/danmartinchameleonnet
www.twitter.com/chameleon_net | www.twitter.com/danm605

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastian Rahtz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 September 2009 11:37
To: Dan Martin
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: iPhone Apps

On 23 Sep 2009, at 11:21, Dan Martin wrote:

> reasons demand for instance an iPhone app. Plus newer browsers are
> starting
> to allow geo-positioning data to be passed from the handset to the
> web-app
> (Safari does this on iPhone), and so that allows for Location Based
> Services
> via web-apps (e.g. simple example - plotting user on campus map)

This is obviously essential functionality, and it does currently need
a range of approaches.
Google gears fixes some of it, and there is even a way of getting up
info from a Blackberry.

Don't forget the poor folks with relatively old devices with no GPS at
all. As a backup, we allow users to say where they are by text input
(eg address, postcode etc)
--
Sebastian Rahtz

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente

--
This message has been scanned and is believed to be clean.
http://mx1.chameleonnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=E14AD295C3.9C76A