Help for CONSERVATION-C-22 Archives

CONSERVATION-C-22 Archives

CONSERVATION-C-22@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CONSERVATION-C-22 Home

CONSERVATION-C-22  September 2009

CONSERVATION-C-22 September 2009

Student Places Available: 'What's the Damage?' (23 September 2009). The conference for Cultural Encounters and Explorations: Conservation's 'Catch-22'.

Hazel Gardiner <[log in to unmask]>

Hazel Gardiner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:32:23 +0100

Dear All,

We still have a few student places available for 'What's the Damage?', the
conference for the AHRC/EPSRC Science and Heritage Programme research
cluster: Cultural Encounters and Explorations: Conservation's 'Catch-22'.

Do please circulate this announcement to your current (and incoming)
students.  Any applications to be received *BEFORE* 12.00am on *MONDAY 21
SEPTEMBER*.  Registrations will be processed on a 'first come first served'
basis.  At this late stage (and as the post is still unreliable) please ask
students to email me when they send booking forms.

The conference will take place on Wednesday 23 September 2009 at UCL
Institute of Archaeology, 31-34 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PY.

'What's the Damage?' is the concluding activity of the research cluster
and will address questions arising from the three workshops
(http://www.ucl.ac.uk/conservation-c-22/programme) and online discussion
(https://www.ucl.ac.uk/conservation-c-22-blog/) held earlier this year.
These activities examined the tension between conservation and access in
order to develop a clearer understanding of the consequences of physical
access on the condition of objects. The conference aims to address how the
issue of physical encounters with objects should be taken forward. There
will be a combination of presentations and panel discussions and the day
will conclude with a glass of wine!

The conference fee is £20 with a reduced rate of £5 for students (50
student places are offered).

The booking form, programme, and abstracts are available on the research
cluster website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/conservation-c-22/conference.

The booking deadline is 15 September 2009.

CONFERENCE PROGRAMME (DRAFT)

The challenge of conservation’s ‘Catch 22’.  Elizabeth Pye, UCL Institute
of Archaeology.

It's all Greek to me! Reflections on some issues relating to classical
marbles.
Susan Pearce, University of Leicester.

Creating the right atmosphere: for people and for collections.  Ben
Cowell, The National Trust.

A right versus a right. Balancing two sections of the museum code of
ethics: a question of trust?
Julia Shelley and Stuart Kennedy, Reading Museum.

Feeling our way: towards a shared approach to object handling in the
Public Galleries.
Paul Sullivan, Bristol Museums.

A close-up look: ‘Meet the Antiquities’ in the Fitzwilliam Museum
Julie Dawson and Helen Strudwick, Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge.

Panel: How powerful are the benefits of access?
Chiara Ambrosio, UCL Science and Technology Studies (Chair).

The conservation object: linking past condition to present lives
Dean Sully, UCL Institute of Archaeology.

Damage and how to manage it.
Amber Xavier-Rowe, English Heritage.

Measuring damage using state-of-the art analysis techniques. David McPhail
and Richard Chater, Imperial College.

Do we know what we are missing? Exploring the real value and potential of
virtual touch in museum display
Angela Geary, Northumbria University.

Panel Discussion: How serious are the risks of damage?
Helen Wilkinson, Museums Association. (Chair)

Handling the Future
Jonathan Ashley Smith, Royal College of Art.

Hazel Gardiner