Re: "incapacity"/New Formalism

Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:48:20 -0400

text/plain

My despair about America is at least as great as
yours, but there's something really ugly here,
Judy. I for one live in a neighborhood, and a
building, where people of better than half a
dozen ethnicities live together in harmony, and
New York is perhaps the most tolerant place on
the planet. But I know New York isn't America,
it's merely eight percent of America, and the
northeast, where the same conditions exist in
good measure, is a mere quarter of America.

As for your catalogue-of-one, you've forgotten
not just Melville, as Alison points out, but to
name a very few, Twain, Whitman, Dickinson,
Williams, Oppen, Niedecker, Faulkner, Olson,
O'Hara, Hartley, Dove, the New York School
Painters, Hartley, Dove, Cole Porter, Gershwin,
Ives, Elliot Carter, Henry James, and yes, his
brother William--we could do worse.

Where does this outburst come from?

Oh, and I think you mightily underestimate Tolstoy.

Mark