Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Workshops

Jeffrey Side <[log in to unmask]>

British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:17:50 +0100

text/plain

I wasn’t so much arguing for the strength of the analogy as for its
applicability in some measure. Yes, poets have historically been largely
self-taught, and that, incidentally, was one of my points in criticising
workshops in earlier posts on this thread. Therefore, I personally don’t
see the need for courses in poetry composition for the same reasons
you mention.

But my point about the relevancy of courses, such as creative writing at
degree-level, was not so much to defend them per se, but to defend
the notion of the impotence of degree-level courses, such a philosophy
or history of art, that make no claim to be practically “useful” to
society. Perhaps, I’m just an old liberal humanist at heart.

I agree with you about song and its usurping of the poetic “muse”.