MCG July 2009

Re: Chris Anderson at ICA, 2 July 2009

Frankie Roberto <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:04:26 +0100

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Oliver Vicars-Harris <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

It was an interesting talk and Anderson's argument around the new economics
> of 'free' was as persuasive as ever, if a bit one sided.. Anyway, worth
> mentioning that a podcast of the event should be live on the RSA website in
> the next day or so:
>
> http://www.thersa.org/events/audio-and-past-events/free-the-future-of-a-radi
> cal-price<http://www.thersa.org/events/audio-and-past-events/free-the-future-of-a-radi%0Acal-price>

I look forward to it!

There were two rather scathing commentaries on the book in the Observer at
the weekend, from Ruth Sutherland ("it is a dangerous and self-serving myth"
-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jul/05/freeconomics-internet-profit)
and John Naughton ("Giving stuff away was fun, but it can't go on forever."
-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/jul/05/free-chris-anderson-digital-media
).

I haven't read the book, yet, (and neither, I suspect, have the two
journalists mentioned above), however I think the principle that
"information wants to be free" is sound. (John Naughton quotes Malcom
Gladwell as saying "But information can't actually want anything" - he
obviously doesn't understand the power of the metaphor). This is why much of
the "digital economy" so far has been based around providing services,
rather than information.

The observation that every best-selling business book has to have a "Big
Idea" behind it has some truth to it though.  I'm still waiting to find
mine... :-)

If anyone fancies reading "Free: the Future of a Radical Price", maybe we
could all post our reviews of it here, (or somewhere else, if it's
considered off-topic). I quite like the idea of a mini book club...
Personally, I'm still recommending "Here Comes Everybody" by Clay Shirky to
people - it's a great read, that neatly explains the game-changing nature of
the internet.

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto