Re: List of biases

Ted Harding <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:16:48 +0100

I would like to add one comment to this.

In Medicine (as in many other fields of evidence and decision
which affect the public and the providers), there are two points
of view in any interaction involving decision.

The Administrator's View.
Patients are exchangeable; their individuality is irrelevant.
Our objective is to deliver a globally optimised provision.

The Patient's View.
I am not exchangeable with anyone, dammit. I want the best
treatment for me. What is best for anyone else may or may not
be best for me. Evidence gathered from other people may or
may not be relevant to what is best for me.

A couple of examples of the dilemma:

[A]: Breast Cancer Screening (using round figures)
Say true incidence in women who present with suspicious superficial
signs is 1 in 500. Say a mammography procedure has accuracy 95%
(probability that result = true condition is 0.95).

A woman is sent for a screening, and the result is positive.
Then the chance that she has the disease, given the result,
is (Bayes's Theorem) 19/518 = 0.037

From the Administrator's point of view, the procedure catches
19 out of 20 cases; but even so there are more than 27 false
positives for each true positive. Is it worth doing? Count the
costs.

From the Patient's point of view, she has just got a positive
result from a procedure with 95% chance of being correct. Shock!
How relevant to her is the low (1/500) incidence of the disease
in the population?

Her personal risk of the disease is a compound of the chances
arising from her inherited propensity and her personal history
of exposure to specific risk factors. If these average out to
the population risk (an "ergodic" hypothesis) then she can (at
least approximately) equate her own risk to the population risk,
given the result. But she can also view the result as indicating
that her personal risk-factors are in the higher-risk region of
the distribution. If she can get that far with the calculation ...

[B]: Evidence of Crime
It is a basic principle of Criminal Law (in the UK and, as far
as I know, in the US too) that one may only be convicted of a
crime if the evidence establishes guilt "beyond reasonable doubt".
Generally, evidence about the incidence of the crime amongst
people with similar characteristics is not admissible as evidence
of guilt of a particular accused. Evidence must be specific to
the circumstances of the particular person accused.

Thus, even if 99% of those driving away from a bar at 11pm on a
Saturday night are over the legal alcohol limit, the Police
cannot arbitrarily arrest a random one of these and then simply
claim in Court that "he must be guilty because nearly everone who
does this is guilty". In other words, you can't appeal to Bayes's
Theorem using the population propensity as a prior.

It can certainly be reasonable grounds for suspicion, justifying
arrest, but the only way to get a legitimate conviction is to
carry out an alcohol test on that individual; only if that result
is so high that the individual cannot reasonably plead that they
were under the legal limit would a conviction in Court ensue.

There has been a period in recent times when the Legal Mind has
been a bit fuddled about the statistical principles involved in
evaluating evidence -- such as DNA evidence in Court, or the
notorious series of trials (Sally Clarke and Trupti Patel being
particularly well known) of parents convicted of killing their
children because they had the misfortune to be associated with
three "Sudden Infent Deaths" (SIDS) amongst their children (this
having been held so improbable to have arisen by chance that
they must be guilty, despite the fact that, very rare though
it be, every few years in a 100-million population such a triple
can be expected to occur).

There was in English Law one exception to this principle, now
repealed but still in operation as late as 1970, namely the crime
of Riotous Assembly. According to this law, if N (N=12 as I recall)
or more people are gathered together for a common purpose, and M
(I think 2) or more act in such a way as to put reasonable persons
in fear, then all present are guilty of Riotous Assembly.

Thus if say 100 turned up for a peaceful demonstration, and a few
of them lost their heads, then (provided it could be proved beyond
reasonable doubt what these few had done) all present were guilty,
regardless of their intent or of their views of the actions of the
few. The last time this was invoked was in relation to the notorious
"Garden House Riot" in Cambridge (England) in February 1970: some
hundreds of people turned up outside the Garden House Hotel one
evening, when a politically-motivated "Greek Evening" was held
(at the time of the Military Junta "regime of the Generals" in
Greece) -- Greek food, speeches from Greek dignitaries, etc.

A few people, most not identified, banged on the windows and broke
them. Some got inside. The diners inside were frightened. The Police
turned up, some people still present were arrested, and brought to
trial on the charge of Riotous Assembly. Whether or not these had
done anything, it was decided that what took place was a Riot, and
that these people were present, and therefore they were guilty (and
got long prison sentences).

So that is a unique instance of evidence about what other people
do being direct (and admissible) evidence of your own guilt. But
that is because it was so defined in the Law (which is no longer
the case).

Just a few throughts ...
Ted.

On 08-Jul-09 18:47:59, Jim Walker wrote:
> Hi, Ben.
> It may be theoretically impossible, but I feel like I do it. And when I
> feel like I am doing it, the process feels different and seems to lead
> to different outcomes than when I don't try do it.
>
> Can clinical expertise enable patients to assess what they will make of
> and do with evidence (along with being the basis of the clinician's own
> decision making)?
>
> Is this the sort of conundrum that prompted the adage, "In theory,
> theory and practice are different, but in practice they aren't."?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Jim
>
> James M. Walker, MD, FACP
> Chief Health Information Officer
> Geisinger Health System
>

> If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple
> to understand it.
>                        - Emerson Pugh

> Neil, Thank you for this. I am really happy to see that this is finally
> happening...for a long time the EBM camp has not talked to
> decision-making researchers, and I hope this will finally open the long
> neglected discussion between evidence and decision-making (necessary
> but
> not sufficient for decision-making)...This also provides the
> opportunity
> to re-define EBM. Most textbook definitions of EBM still talk about
> **integration of best research evidence with clinical
> expertise and patient values.** Based on theoretical ground that
> Neil alluded to this is not possible. Most decision scientists would
> argue that no theory can be both descriptively and normatively (and
> prescriptively) valid. Hence, definition of EBM aiming to achieve the
> stated goals of **integration of best research evidence with
> clinical expertise and patient values" is theoretically impossible:
> integration of normative concepts (evidence and patient values) with
> descriptive theories of decision making (clinical expertise) to become
> prescriptive theory (improve decision making) cannot be done (at least
> at today's level of scientific development and as long as humans think
> the way they do...).
>
> Which is not to say that there is no much to improve how we practice
> medicine... but we need to know what we can and cannot do...
>
> ben
>
> Benjamin Djulbegovic, MD, PhD
> Professor of Medicine and Oncology
> University of South Florida & H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research
> Institute
> Co-Director of USF Clinical Translation Science Institute
> Director of USF Center for Evidence-based Medicine and Health Outcomes
> Research
>

> Mailing Address:
> USF Health Clinical Research
> 12901 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC02
>  Tampa, FL 33612
>
> Phone # 813-396-9178
> Fax # 813-974-5411
>
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]

> [...]

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[log in to unmask]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 08-Jul-09                                       Time: 22:16:43