Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  July 2009

BRITARCH July 2009

Re: Heritage Protection Bill dropped again!

Vince Russett <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Jul 2009 08:49:07 +0100

Morning, chums

Well, what a surprise. Heritage Protection Bill dropped again shock

horror. Losing a Bill once looks like an accident, losing it twice..

Well draw your own conclusions.

Many people must be in the same position as me, losing staff numbers (in

this case 0.5FTE out of 1.5FTE in the archaeological service) which

would almost certainly not have happened had the Bill gone through. The

loss of the expertise and experience of the staff who go is bad enough,

but it ignores the fact that these people are also colleagues and

friends with whom we have worked for years.

There is no commitment by this government to heritage, or even no

demonstrable understanding of the issues involved. For example, whatever

happened to 'Culture at the Heart of Regeneration? (DCMS 2004). Unlike

my usual disposition, I find it very hard to be optimistic about the

future for heritage / archaeological services in this country,

especially in the smaller local authorities that are struggling with

enormous shortfalls in income.

Vince

Vince Russett

County Archaeologist

Historic Environment Team

Economy & Regeneration

North Somerset Council

Please note: This authority no longer employs a Historic Environment

Record Officer. I regret this will reduce our capacity to respond to

search requests. First priority will be given to planning-related work.

We will not be able to provide information to students or researchers

for the foreseeable future. I apologise for the inevitable decrease in

quality and speed of response to queries.

If I am out of the office, this number will transfer you to my mobile

phone. If this is switched off, you can leave a voicemail message.

Land line:            01934 426456

Mobile:               07917 265644

Facsimile:            01934 426605

Please note all requests for HER data should be sent to