JiscMail Logo
Email discussion lists for the UK Education and Research communities

Help for SVAG Archives


SVAG Archives

SVAG Archives


SVAG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

SVAG Home

SVAG Home

SVAG  June 2009

SVAG June 2009

Options

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Subject:

ARLIS NCC meeting (email 2 of 2) - Feb 09 minutes

From:

Paula Cuccurullo <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Paula Cuccurullo <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:57:01 +0100

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (235 lines)

++ Scottish Visual Arts Group ++

Hi all,

As promised, here are the other set of minutes.

Cheers, Paula

---

ARLIS/UK & Ireland Committee for National 
Co-ordination of Art Library Resources

Minutes of meeting held 25th February 2009

Present: Stephen Bury (chair); Pat Christie; Doug 
Dodds; Jane Bramwell and David Sharp (minutes)

1.      Apologies:      Irena Murray, Paula 
Cuccurillo DS reported that Anita Smit, Irena's p.a. now on distribution list.

2.      Minutes of 19th November 2008.
Accepted, subject to typo in line 4 of UAL report 
in item 8 being corrected ("Printed" not "rinted").

3.      Matters Arising

Action Point: SB Still to contact Louise 
Tucker.  DACS: new chief executive appointed and SB will meet in due course.

4.      Forward Plan

SB circulated updated version.  Meeting was 
reminded that the key areas in this feed the 
annual report and that the lead and final items 
were ones that required some additional 
focus.  DS suggested the final item could also 
enable succession planning/continuity and help maintain sectoral balance.

International role of NCC was raised so item 6 was taken here:

[6]     Council had asked whether NCC should have 
an international role? Noted that ARLIS NA has an 
international committee and the IFLA Art 
Libraries section, its role and relationships had 
relevance to this discussion.  IFLA 
delegates/officers were often nominated by 
institutions but attended as individuals.   ARLIS 
members/officers did attend, and DD was involved 
in reviewing papers for IMA 2009 (in Italy).

Agreed that an international role was desirable 
in principle but would require reviewing terms of 
reference.  Action: SB to bring terms of 
reference to next meeting for review.  PC and JB 
both indicated willingness to attend IFLA subject to timings.

5.      a)      LACA update

SB reported on the recent meeting.  Main items 
had been the stance by David Lammey against 
making specific exemptions regarding performing 
this time; the workshops about  a possible 2-tier 
system that raised levels of  protection in 
works where creative input was greatest; and the 
possibility that some juggling was ahead to 
enable changes to the law to still fit with the 
parameters of European legislation.
Action Point:  SB to articulate details when available

  b)     Future of LACA
SB reported on the continuance issue of LACA

6.      See above- end of item 4

7.      KULTUR/KULTIVATE

Kultur:
The project is now well advanced. The following milestones have been achieved:
Extensive consultation and advocacy with stakeholders, including researchers.
The establishment of a multi-media and visually 
engaging IR demonstrator, with research outputs from all partners.
The development of metadata (based on Dublin 
Core) to suit the subject area and type of 
material in order to aid searching and retrieval.
The creation of generic IPR guidelines.
Work is currently underway on splitting the IR 
demonstrator into two separate repositories, one 
for UAL and one for UCA. A Final Report is being 
prepared for JISC and various articles are being 
produced for professional journals. The Project 
formally ends in March 2009 and a Kultur Launch 
Event to celebrate project completion is being planned for April/May 2009.

Kultivate (JISC E-Research & Information 
Environment Call: Strand A5: Repositories - Enhancement)
Led by University for the Creative Arts (VADS). 
Partners: UAL and University of Southampton 
(E-Prints). Associate Partners: RCA, Arts 
Institute at Bournemouth and Goldsmiths. The key outputs of this will be:
A bold new community of practice that will 
provide a forum for sharing best practice and for 
enhancing capacity, knowledge and skills related 
to IR developments within the creative arts.
Portal that showcases creative arts research in 
the UK and hence facilitates a transition towards 
more open and accessible creative arts research.
Enhancements to the E-Prints repository platform 
to cater for creative arts user needs, including 
'artist portfolio' functionality and better 
interoperability with internal and external 
institutional research monitoring (including REF).
The total bid is for 342,425. The proposal has 
had the support of many professional bodies 
including ARLIS through Stephen's endorsement as 
Chair of NCC. Other bodies include BL, RIN, 
CHEAD, ADM-HEA Subject Centre and AHRC. The 
outcome of this bid will be known mid/late March

8.      Local and Regional Groups
Nil reports received

9.      Reports from Member Institutions

UAL

Collection Development Policy - work is ongoing 
with the new Collection Development Policy. 
Planned completion date is March 2009.
Institutional Repository - UAL now has 245 
research putputs within its Institutional 
Repository. This will be launched soon as UAL 
Research Online. UAL has participated in a 2nd 
JISC bid in addition to Kultivate - KeepIt 
(Strand A6: Preservation Exemplars), led by 
University of Southampton (E-Prints) with UAL and 
University of Northampton as project partners. 
UAL is also in conversation with the ADM Subject 
Centre about a possible bid in response to the 
Open Education Resources Programme. This would be 
led by the Subject Center and partners would be 
UAL, UCA and University of Cumbria.
Stanley Kubrick Archive - UAL is currently 
contributing to the Kubrick Season at the BFI in 
February/March in a number of ways:
An exhibition of items from the Stanley Kubrick 
Archives in the mezzanine gallery, relating to the making of Barry Lyndon.
A new short film commission for a group of LCC 
students based on archive research of locations 
for A Clockwork Orange to be shown at the BFI.
Unfolding the Aryan Papers, a new art work by 
Jane & Louise Wilson, commissioned by Animate 
Projects, as resident artists in the Stanley Kubrick Archives.
A Stanley Kubrick Study Day, including talks by 
staff from the UAL Archives and Special Collections Centre Manager

Tate
JB is now temporary Head of Library and Archive 
Library. Library is working with OCLC to get 
records onto WorldCat Bid to HLF to digitise 
archive as content for Tate Exchange in new Tate 
Modern 2 building was unsuccessful but 
possibility of re-applying being investigated.
Library and Archive opening hours will be based 
on 4 day week from April, with Fridays reserved 
for visits, reflecting linked usage of archive and library materials.
Archive open evening held in February for artists 
and donors was very successful.
Space planning: some uncatalogued and long term 
loan material from the Archive has been relocated to Dean Hill.

BFI

DS reported on some concerns that had arisen with OCLC.
BFI/HE Partnership proposals were being 
re-developed.  Losey exhibition (Losey-Pinter) in 
development, with possible BL collaboration.
Phase 1 of BFI updates to ARLIS.net pages in 
hand.  Update on journals holdings to follow 
later.  Library now had Mediatheque terminals and 
wifi to complement paper collections.  DS job 
title now confirmed, as Head Librarian.

NAL

Twentieth century gallery now open, adjacent to Library
Some staffing issues with departures and 
secondments to projects placing a strain on services
RLN report "Discovering Physical Objects" has excellent checklist
Digitising project in partnership with BH and 
Birkbeck on pre-1700 British Prints (mainly engraved title pages).

BL

2nd UKRR tranch of monies secured
OCLC "print in danger" project had identified only 2 titles in UKRR listing.
EThOS launched
Project Gateway had achieved OGC gateway zero and amber status
BL/BFI had meetings re video server service in digital centre
Campaign for the British Library project had a 
50 million target to raise funds for Greek 
manuscript to be hosted/translated under web 2.0 
protocols.  Some Caribbean material is in line 
for similar treatment.  Microsoft digitisation 
project would complete at year end.  30,000 items 
available via Reading Rooms but there were issues 
with download times. delivery always follows 
spend on a slower track.  BL had acquired the "Marinetti Tin Book".

10.     AOB

There was no other Business

-------
Paula Cuccurullo
Reporting Secretary, Scottish Visual Arts Group (SVAG)
tel  (0131) 651 1432   /   fax  (0131) 650 3308
[log in to unmask]   /   http://scurl.ac.uk/about/svag.html  


-- 
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

--------
Scottish Visual Arts Group
To subscribe, send the following message to [log in to unmask]
     join svag Yourfirstname Yourlastname
To unsubscribe, send the following message to [log in to unmask]
     leave svag
To find out who else is on the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask]
     review svag
List web page: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/svag.html
Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]
--------

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

JISCMail Tools


RSS Feeds and Sharing


Advanced Options


Archives

April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
October 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
August 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
January 2011
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
April 2009
October 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
2006
2005
2004
2003
2002
2001


WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager