LIB-RFID-UK  June 2009

LIB-RFID-UK June 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: RFID/LMS database interaction - summary and reflections

Mick Fortune <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:49:07 +0100

text/plain

Ivar

It certainly does and is pretty much what I half knew/suspected. But doesn't
that approach make it almost impossible for libraries to change their RFID
supplier in the future? That's precisely why I started this "crusade" a year
ago. Libraries simply aren't aware of what's going on inside their RFID
systems. They have made a lot of assumptions about how all this stuff works
- encouraged by the market - that simply aren't accurate.

What you describe is the process we thought we were about to begin - how
best to use the data elements that the profile allows. I was hoping to
retrofit some of the changes to which you refer - and which we know exist -
into the profile but we still then need an API or extended protocol to
enable this process. What you seem to be saying is that RFID companies have
already made those decisions on our behalf and now they need an API to get
the genie back into the bottle.

Glad to have your support though.

Best

Mick

Mick Fortune
m. +44 (0)7786 625544         t.   +44 (0)1865 727411