ALLSTAT Archives

allstat@jiscmail.ac.uk

ALLSTAT Home

ALLSTAT  May 2009

ALLSTAT May 2009

Re: Effect coding vs Reference coding.

"BXC (Bendix Carstensen)" <[log in to unmask]>

BXC (Bendix Carstensen)

Mon, 18 May 2009 12:45:53 +0200

The disadvantage of effect coding is that you refer to the
average of all the categories instead of a specific reference
category, and hence make your results specific to your study population.
With effect coding you can give a value for every category within a comprehensive table
as long as you remember to state in the legend of the table that the results
are not generalizable beyond you study population.

Bendix Carstensen

Bendix Carstensen
Senior Statistician
Steno Diabetes Center