WIRELESS-ADMIN Archives

WIRELESS-ADMIN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WIRELESS-ADMIN Home

WIRELESS-ADMIN  April 2009

WIRELESS-ADMIN April 2009

Re: Wireless in residences

"Andrews Peter Mr (ITCS)" <[log in to unmask]>

Wireless Issues in the JANET community <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Apr 2009 17:52:15 +0100

Wireless in Halls?  No thanks..  we'd just finished a structured cabling
program when wireless really hit the main stage and, with the coverage
fun we've had on campus, I would dread to think of the necessary AP
density to give coverage across the compartmentalised residences (mainly
re-enforced concrete construction!).

We also like to be able to pin down our errant students to a port -
means they can't squirm away from the fines.

It's also been useful in providing consistent and fair distribution of
bandwidth and in permitting us to look at value-added services (such as
IPTV from Freewire) and, formerly, VoIP via Catalyst Management.

Overall our students seem happy with it.

Pete..