hay festival

Jonathan Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:27:17 +0100

welcome to the *nef* e-letter *
April 2009 - Hay Festival Special*

*Tipis at Hay*

The Hay Festival in Wales
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/index.aspx?skinid=2> has always been
more than just another literature festival. It has provided a space for
re-imagining our world, renewing our sense of wonder and reminding us
that, if we choose to, we really can change our lives for the better. In
2009, when hope seems in short supply, *nef* (the new economics
foundation) will be hosting a series of events at the Festival:
Surviving the Crash, supported by the the Ecology Building Society
<http://www.ecology.co.uk/>. We'll be exploring how, if we play it
right, the opportunities created by financial and environmental crisis
might just help us win back our lives and our planet.

Surviving the Crash

Transition Town Brixton's Unleashing Event
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>
Photograph: Transition Town Brixton <http://www.transitiontownbrixton.org>

Transition Now
26 May, 1pm - The Sony Screen - 5

Frontline news from the UK's fastest growing social experiment - the
Transition Town Movement.

With movement founder *Rob Hopkins* and broadcaster and chair of London
Food *Rosie Boycott*. Chaired by *Andrew Simms*.

 >> BOOK TICKETS
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

City of Darkness
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>
Photograph: Howard Grubb <http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/photos/home.php>

City of Darkness
27 May, 6.45pm - The Dream Stage - 5

Do a handful of financial institutions control the fate of our planet's
climate?

With economist *John Kay*, HSBC climate advisor *Nick Robins* and art
activist *James Marriott*. Chaired by *Andrew Simms*.

 >> BOOK TICKETS
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

The Cuban Suprise
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

The Cuban Surprise
28 May, 5.30pm - The Guardian Stage - 5

How lessons from a small isolated island could save the lives of
millions in a warming world.

With author *Dr Julia Wright* and Cuban Economic Counsellor, *Carlos
Alfaro*. Chaired by *Andrew Simms*.

 >> BOOK TICKETS
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

A Green New Deal
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

A Green New Deal
30 May, 4pm - The Dream Stage - 5

Can the environment save the economy?

With Green Party leader *Caroline Lucas* MEP, Welsh Environment Minister
*Jane Davidson* and Spanish MEP *Joan Herrera*. Chaired by *Andrew Simms*.

> > BOOK TICKETS
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

Digging for victory
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

An Environmental War Economy
30 May, 11.30am - The Lorax - 5

What can Britain's experience of World War II teach us about
conservation and thriving during times of adversity?

With garden guru *Monty Don*, author *Andrew Simms*, documentary maker*
Revel Guest *and broadcaster *Jenny Murray*. Chaired by *Stewart Wallis*.

 >> BOOK TICKETS
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>

*...*
Bookings for *nef*'s Surviving the Crash events can be made through the
Hay Festival website
<http://www.hayfestival.com/wales/booking-info.aspx?skinid=2&currencysetting=GBP&localesetting=en-GB&resetfilters=true>.

For more details, please contact: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>