Re: Guardian climate summit

Oliver Tickell <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:32:30 +0100

The article is written by John Vidal who is nobody's stooge.

I might add I agree with it. It looks to me like the efforts of Climate
Camp, Greenpeace, Jim Hansen etc have paid off in that all these new coal
power stations will have CCS 25% for now, 100% (this quoted figure is
probably unfeasible, more like 80% possible) by 2025. This is astonishingly
close to what was being demanded.

Of course we still want to know who will pay for it, and how. But subject to
this and a few other caveats, it looks like a green victory that we should
be celebrating!

Just to prove the G is not beholden to EON we also have Monbiot taking the
opposite view:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/apr/23/carbon-captu
re-and-storage-coal

He seems to get something wrong here btw where he says that "These partly
abated coal plants, in other words, would still be much worse than unabated
gas plants."

If we assume new coal is 40% efficient, then you get 40We (watts
electricity) for every 100Wc (watts coal). If 10% of power output goes to
power 80% CCS, then say 2.5% output for 25% CCS. So we are getting approx
39We for the emissions from 100Wc - 25% = 75Wc. This is equivalent in carbon
terms to 39/75 = 52% efficiency - which is comparable to typical CCGT of 50%
efficiency. The effect of this is thus to make coal as clean in carbon terms
as gas.

Of course there are no firm long term guarantees as to what will happen
across Parliaments and Governments. But that goes for anything.

Oliver Tickell
www.kyoto2.org