Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  March 2009

PHD-DESIGN March 2009

Re: Empirical evaluation of information graphics?

Will Stahl-Timmins <[log in to unmask]>

Will Stahl-Timmins <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:45:17 +0000

Hi again everyone,

The responses to my query have been many, varied, and helpful. And
mostly off-list! The suggestions have given me many promising lines of
enquiry, and made me revisit some more familiar material. The research
literature available on the evaluation of information graphics seems
to be quite limited to start with. In the area of health policy-making
even more so... In a way it's quite encouraging as it makes for a
fertile area for my PhD, but perhaps also a little daunting!

In the interest of sharing knowledge gained from the list, I've put
together a short summary of the references I've received. I hope it
proves useful for anyone with an interest in the area of information
graphics for health and/or decision support.

W.

Papers:

Nicholas H. Lurie and Charlotte H. Mason, (2007), "Visual
Representation: Implications for Decision Making," Journal of
Marketing, 71 (January), 160177.

Zender, Mike; Crutcher, Keith A. (2007). Visible Language for the
Expression of Scientific Concepts. Visible Language, v. 41 no. 1 p.
23-49.

D. Feldman-Stewart, M. D. Brundage, and V. Zotov. Further Insight into
the Perception of Quantitative Information: Judgments of Gist in
Treatment Decisions. Medical Decision Making 27 (1):34-43, 2007.

Books:

Easterby, Ronald & Zwaga, Harm. 1984. Information Design. John Wiley.

Fiske, John. 1949. Introduction to Communication Studies. Routledge.

Full Journals recommended:

Patient education and counselling

Drug information journal

Web links:

VizMetrics, Houston, USA:
http://www.vizmetrics.com/

John Snow:
famous information graphic on the Cholera outbreak in London, 1854) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow-cholera-map-1.jpg
but also see: Steven Johnson's "The Ghost Map" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594489254/stevenberlinj-20

Florence Nightingale:
http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/mlm/COXCOMB.jpg (not
great quality, I fear...)

Paul Arthur's Wayfinding, people, signs and Architecture
http://www.paularthur-wayfinding.com/wf_author.html

Google's use of eye tracking:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/eye-tracking-studies-more-than-meets.html

Ben Fry, who I think is awesome:
http://benfry.com/phd/

ISO technique for icon testing:
http://hablamosjuntos.org/signage/symbols/default.symbols.asp#sdt

Will Stahl-Timmins B.A., M.A.
PhD Researcher: Information Graphics in Health Technology Assessment.

T: +44 (0) 1392 406 967
M: +44 (0) 7941 865 196
E: [log in to unmask]

www.pms.ac.uk/infographics/