Re: Phonics /Working Memory

The Bodiens <[log in to unmask]>

Discussions by and for dyslexic people <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:20:17 +0400

Yes.

Gathercole and Alloway's book covers all your points.  And more.

Philippa

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussions by and for dyslexic people
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graeme Wadlow
Sent: 01 March 2009 14:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DYSLEXIA] Phonics /Working Memory

Hi Philippa

working or short term memory is where those who have the neurological
deficits that cause them to be dyslexic run their soping strategies to work
around their defiicts.
Those who do not have these neurological problems and therefore do not have
to run coping strategies to survive on a day to day basis can devote and
uuse more or all of the limited space of the working memory to the task of
reading, or learning to read.

The working memory is like the RAM of a computer, and if you overload it
will crash, so we all subconsciously priorities what we use the working
memory for, and for those who have neurological deficits, whioch cause us to
be dyslexic, our main priority is to run our coping strategies to work
around our neurlogical deficits, tasks such as reading have to take a back
seat, and come way down the pecking order.

The position can be made worse by many other of lifes problems such as
stress and illness which will take top priority in place of the coping
strategies, ansd so tasks such as reading may even be out of the priority
list and not part of the working memory programs at these more stressing
times.

best wishes

Graeme