Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  March 2009

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING March 2009

Re: (fwd) Counterculture in the US West - Call for Papers

Johannes Goebel <[log in to unmask]>

Johannes Goebel <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:35:15 -0500

May I give a pointer to a publication I initialized and co-published with
University of California Press on an aspect of the topic "counterculture"
and "West Coast". It came out last year on the occasion of EMPAC's opening -
and it includes a DVD with performances of some of the "old works" from
"back then" by the original performers - taped here at Rensselaer at the
"Wow and Flutter" festival I staged as my first major act when I arrived
here a few years ago.

The book contains a major text by David Bernstein (Mills College) on
counterculture and avant-gard in the sixties in the Bay Area and includes
many interviews with and texts written by people active in the field back
then. It gives a very good overview over the activates in San Francisco at
the time (and is not limited to music...)

The San Francisco Tape Music Center
1960s Counterculture and the Avant-Garde
Edited by David W. Bernstein
Foreword by John Rockwell. Preface by Johannes Goebel.

This book tells the story of the influential group of creative
artists‹Pauline Oliveros, Morton Subotnick, Ramon Sender, William Maginnis,
and Tony Martin‹who connected music to technology during a legendary era in
California's cultural history. An integral part of the robust San Francisco
"scene," the San Francisco Tape Music Center developed new art forms through
collaborations with Terry Riley, Steve Reich, David Tudor, Ken Dewey, Lee
Breuer, the San Francisco Actor's Workshop, the San Francisco Mime Troupe,
the Ann Halprin Dancers' Workshop, Canyon Cinema, and others. Told through
vivid personal accounts, interviews, and retrospective essays by leading
scholars and artists, this work, capturing the heady experimental milieu of
the sixties, is the first comprehensive history of the San Francisco Tape
Music Center.

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10623.php

Johannes
EMPAC / Rensselaer