*** REGISTRATION NOW OPEN AT IMAGECLEF 2009 ***
*** Call for participation: wikipediaMM image retrieval 2009 ***
ImageCLEF's wikipediaMM is an ad hoc image retrieval task that provides a
testbed for the system-oriented evaluation of visual information retrieval
from a collection of 150,000 Wikipedia images which are associated with
unstructured and noisy textual annotations in English. The aim is to
investigate multimodal retrieval approaches in the context of a large and
heterogeneous collection of images (similar to those encountered on the
Web) searched by users with diverse information needs.
The main aim is to investigate:
* how well do the retrieval approaches cope with larger scale image
* how well do the retrieval approaches cope with noisy and
unstructured textual annotations?
* how well do the content-based retrieval approaches cope with images
that cover diverse topics and are of varying quality?
* how well can systems exploit and combine different modalities given
a user's multimedia information need?
The main focus in 2009 is to investigate the combination of evidence of
relevance derived from different modalities, through the fusion of visual,
text-based, and concept-based sources of evidence. To support participants
with expertise in diverse research domains, we aim at providing baseline
monomedia retrieval systems.
If you are interested in participating in this task, go to the ImageCLEF
web site for more information:
Registration information can be found at: http://clef.isti.cnr.it/
* 1.2.2009: registration opens for all CLEF tracks
* 9.3.2009: instructions and formatting criteria for candidate
topics/queries provided to participants
* 15.3.2009: data release (images + metadata)
* 31.3.2009: submission of candidate topics (optional)
* 15.4.2009: topic release
* 1.5.2009: registration closes for all CLEF tracks
* 31.5.2009: submission of runs
* 10.6.2009: distribution of merged results to participants for
* 10.7.2009: submission deadline for relevance assessments (optional)
* 15.7.2009: release of results
* 15.8.2009: submission of working notes papers
* 30.9-2.10.2009: CLEF workshop in Corfu, Greece
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
Theodora Tsikrika, Interactive Information Access Group, CWI, Amsterdam,
The Netherlands, [log in to unmask]
Jana Kludas, Computer Vision and Multimedia Laboratory, University of
Geneva, Switzerland, [log in to unmask]