Re: RFID training

"Wright, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:12:28 -0000

Just to note - competent in their product.  I wouldn't perhaps extend that to other areas :-s

________________________________

From: Discussion List for RFID in Libraries on behalf of Mick Fortune
Sent: Thu 3/19/2009 9:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RFID training

Oddly enough I was discussing this very point with Sarah Wilkie (ex MLA, now
LLUK) only yesterday. There are consultants offering to do just this - Sarah
for one, Fi Emberton for another. I think you have to be very clear that
working with RFID is one thing, working with self-service is only a part of
that process.

I think it would be fair to say that the one clear message from each of the
RFID conferences I've attended is the need to involve staff in introducing
self-service as early as possible. If they feel threatened by its
introduction they're unlikely to embrace it, and since they will have a key
role in ensuring its success that's an issue you'll need to address quickly.

My recent survey (full results next week - I promise!) shows that library
colleagues are still considered one of the main sources of information and
expertise for those looking to introduce RFID (though gratifyingly this list
has been rated as the most helpful on results so far :-)) so talking to
those who've already "been through the movie" should help you avoid making
any obvious errors.

Glad to hear that D Tech are proving competent! They remain the only UK
supplier not to have agreed to adopt the proposed national standard so I was
a bit concerned about their intentions - especially after yesterday's
announcement from Bibliotheca. (More on my blog about that).

Just keep in mind that RFID will affect EVERYTHING you do with stock - not
just self-service. The survey shows a significant consensus around the idea
of being able to "do more with the technology". Which is heartening.

Best

Mick

(P.S. It's OK Melanie, I AM working for you today. This was a tea-break
activity!)

Mick Fortune
Library RFID  Ltd

m. +44 (0)7786 625544         t.   +44 (0)1865 727411     e.
[log in to unmask] w. www.libraryrfid.co.uk
Join the UK list! http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=LIB-RFID-UK
Read the Library RFID blog!  http://www.mickfortune.com/Wordpress/?page_id=2
Follow me on  -  http://twitter.com/mickfortune