The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  March 2009

DISABILITY-RESEARCH March 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Terminology: disabled students v students with disabilities?

"Gordon C. Cardona" <[log in to unmask]>

Gordon C. Cardona

Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:28:08 +0100

text/plain

Dear Emma,

I believe that there are a lot of problems with the use of 'person with
a disability'. First of all, the tendency is for the term 'disability'
to signify both 'impairment' and 'disability'. Moreover saying 'person
with a disability' indirectly implies that the person is the cause of
his/her problems. Admittedly, there may be merits to the argument of
'putting the person first' - used to justify the use of the term but it
still fails to voice the social forces that give rise to disability but
rather appears to simply address the cultural misperceptions about
disabled people by highlighting their personhood.

While addressing stereotypes is positive, it's not enough since it fails
to expose that we as disabled persons are both disabled through both
negative attitudes AND structural or institutional barriers. Having said
that, language places restrictions on the translatability of the term
'disabled person' and its empowering and political message. For
instance, in my native language, the term 'disabled persons' as a direct
translation would result in an an offensive term roughly translating to
the phrase 'the disabled'. Instead, we use the American version 'persons
with a disability' or "persuni b'dizabilita'".

However, in English publications, I always use British social model
terminology throughout and use 'impairment' when I need to refer to the
actual impairment. However, whatever the terminology you prefer using,
it's important to be consistent about it. I've read many EU reports
where both terms are used interchangeably which makes it difficult to
decide what is actually being discussed - whether impairment or
disability.

Best,

Gordon

In this case, certain

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:01:57 +0000, "DISABILITY-RESEARCH automatic
digest system" <[log in to unmask]> said:

> [...]
>
> Apologies for cross posting...
>
> When I started at University in 1999 the common term in use was
> 'students with disabilities' (e.g. NUS SWD Officer) and I was told
> that the idea behind this was putting the 'student' first (I don't
> remember who told me this!). I know there has been a move away from
> this in many places as "it implies that we =E2=80=98own=E2=80=99 the
> disabi=
> lity, while
> it is society which disables us" (according to Lorraine Gradwell in "A
> rose by any other name=E2=80=A6" -
> http://www.healthmatters.org.uk/issue32/arose).
>
> Do any of you know of any other literature about this, particularly
> where 'students with disabilities' came from and why?  Anything that
> references disabled people versus people with disabilities is also
> useful. I need to write about this in my thesis, but I also co-edit
> the "Students with Disabilities Series" in MSOR Connections and I am
> considering making a case for changing the name.
>
> Also, if you have any opinions about the two terms I'd like to hear from
> yo=
> u.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emma
>
> --=20
> Emma Jane Rowlett (n=C3=A9e Wright)
> School of Sociology and Social Policy
> University of Nottingham

> www.accessingmaterials.org.uk
>
> ________________End of message________________
>
> This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for
> Disability Studies at the University of Leeds
> (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies).
> Enquiries about list administration should be sent to
>
> Archives and tools are located at:
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
> You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web
> page.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:25:57 -0000
> From:    Larry Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Terminology: disabled students v students with disabilities?
>
> Person first language is patronising and disabling language in my =
> opinion. The issue seems to be resolved in the UK so far as I know in =
> favour of disabled people, that is to say the disability is an active =
> disempowering process rather than a personal faculty.
>
> If I wanted to disable my computer I would throw a spanner at it, and it
> =
> would then be a computer with a disability would it? it would be =
> knackered, done in, wrecked. The disabling process lies not within the =
> individual, though of course negative attribution styles borne of false =
> consciousness and indoctrination can well contribute to ones own =
> assisted suicide whether actual or political.
>
> I may be a person with a flute at times, but not everyone who is a =
> person with a flute can be a flautist. It's what you do with it that =

________
Gordon C. Cardona

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

MY BLOGS:

Gordon's D-Zone: http://gd-zone.blogspot.com

COSMOS ONLINE: http://CosmosOnline.blogspot.com

"All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual"
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Archives and tools are located at: