Welcome

Andrew Malin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:39:23 +0000

Dear all

Welcome to this new Jiscmail group!

HEFCE has set it up as a way of making direct contact with those people in
HEIs interested in the implementation of the Charities Act 2006 - in particular,
the arrangements for HEFCE to become the Principal Regulator of HEIs as
charities. The group also includes a number of people outside HEIs who hsare
this interest.

I am not sure what volume of traffic this new group will generate. Please, at
any time, let me know if you think that the material is unnecessary, too
detailed, too frequent, or if you would like more information, more often.

This first posting has two sections: a bit of housekeeping followed by some
news headlines.

The housekeeping:

We have included in the initial recipient list all those who have provided us
with their contact details since we issued a Circular letter (2007/10) two
years ago. If you do not wish to remain part of the group, please unsubscribe
yourself, or let me know and I will arrange for your contact details to be
removed.

It is also possible that someone else in your institution/organisation would be
interested in joining the group. I hope you will either forward this so that they
can subscribe directly or let me have their name and email address.

The news:

1. Timetable for HEFCE to become Principal Regulator
We are working with the Office of the Third Sector and the Charity
Commission towards designation before Parliament takes its summer recess in
July. On this basis, we would start work as Principal Regulator on 1 October
2009.
However, this is a tight timetable and may not be achievable.

2. Reporting on public benefit
You will be aware that the Charity Commission published in December 2008 its
supplementary guidance on public benefit as it will impact on educational and
fee-charging  charities. HEIs that are registered charities (and any registered
charities associated with HEIs) will need to report on public benefit in their
2008-09 trustees' annual reports/financial statements. They will therefore be
particularly interested in the latest examples of public benefit reports
published by the Charity Commission on 20 March, available at
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publicbenefit/default.asp

3. HEFCE website
We are creating a new section for the HEFCE website (www.hefce.ac.uk). I
hope this will be available by mid-April.

If there is anything else you would like to know about the process for HEFCE
becoming Principal Regulator, please let me know and I will do my best to help.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Malin
Assurance Consultant