BRITARCH March 2009

Re: Slightly off-topic & querns

kevin wooldridge <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 21 Mar 2009 01:11:49 -0700

Is there any reason Michael why you assume thatancient breads should have 'risen'. It seems to me that there is plenty of anthropological evidence for flat or unleavened bread even up to the modern day. And as to 'grit'. Isn't that one of the really important ingredients in bread (one that in modern day bakery has tobe replicated by chemical and synthetic addition)

kevin

--- On Fri, 20/3/09, Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Slightly off-topic & querns
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, 20 March, 2009, 11:48 AM

Jez wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2009, at 09:09, Merryn Dineley wrote:
>
>> At the start of this thread I got the impression that Mike wants to
re-create ancient grain grinding and bread making techniques.

> In his bread-maker :)

Jez, I could try adapting the washing machine?

But more seriously, It's easy to make bread and I have served my time
making bread by hand and I've even built myself the odd oven in a field so
I'm quite comfortable that I have the rudimentary knowledge of breadmaking.

What I don't understand is:

1. Growing wheat (which I assume is pretty much like growing anything else like
carrots)
2. Storing wheat

Storing wheat really does bother me because I can't see where I'd store
that much grain in good condition. And the first step to understanding storage
of grain is to start buying it in "bulk" and using grains in
"normal" quantities.

And I suppose the first unforeseen conclusion is that we have stopped storing
(brown) flour because we are just milling the grain as an when we need it. Which
means we need access to some grain once even perhaps twice a day (if we mostly
ate grain) and that requires some intermediate storage between a pit and the
quern which I presume is a vermin/hen proof clay pot or some such????

Mike