Re: Significance of low AP

Rafaq Azad <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:44:23 +0000

Dear all,

Like Mike, we also don't comment on low ALP (unless it's a paediatric
case).  Low ALP, <50 iu/L is relatively common, most cases attributed to
drugs such as methotrexate and azathiaprine.  We have also seen low
levels with hypothyroidism.  Metal co-factor (magnesium and zinc)
deficiency is also a possibility, though we haven't seen any cases in
our lab.

Regards,

Rafaq Azad.

>>> "PD Dr. Michael Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
16/03/2009 14:22 >>>
Dear colleagues,

A lower limit of normal should be provided and adjusted for age
(groups).

We usually do not add comments. The story  of low AP being typical of
Wilson's disease has been with the clinical community for decades.
However, at least one study refused that claim.
Hereditary hypophosphatasia (rare!) may be another suggestion.

Best regards

Mike

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

Your Hospital needs YOU! We need you to register as a Public, Patient or
Staff member and help shape the future of your healthcare. Call 0800 280
2581 to register by phone or you can email
[log in to unmask]  and ask to be registered as a
new member.  For more information about our hospitals and Foundation
Trust Membership please visit www.bradfordhospitals.nhs.uk
This message is confidential. It may also contain privileged
information. The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are
intended for the named addressee only. Unless you are the named
addressee or authorised to receive the e-mail of the named addressee you
may not disclose, use or copy the contents of the e-mail. If you are not
the person for whom the message was intended, please notify the sender
immediately at Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and
delete the material from your computer. You must not use the message for
any other purpose, nor disclose its contents to any person other than
the intended recipient. Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
does not accept responsibility for this message and any views or
opinions contained in this e-mail are solely those of the author unless
expressly stated otherwise.