Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  February 2009

PHD-DESIGN February 2009

Re: Resources For Design Project Now and Future

"Evans, Martyn" <[log in to unmask]>

Evans, Martyn

Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:50:47 -0000

Dear Alireza

Sorry for slow response. There are a number of resources that may be for interest for your Now and Future project.

The 'Vision of the Future' project undertaken by Philips in the mid 1990s is held up as an exemplar of how design conceptualises and communicates future possibilities, particularly from an industrial design perspective. Philips have undertaken much work under the leadership of Stefano Marzano in this area, and this is one of the most well known. At the time there was an excellent web resource that published this work in a magazine format but as far as I know this resource is no longer available. An accompanying book and DVD/video was also available. The DVD in particular is a rich resource if you can get hold of it. Marzano, S (ed.). (1995) Vision of the Future. Bussum: V&K. See http://www.design.philips.com/
for an overview of some of their work.

Marzano, S (2005) People as a Source of Breakthrough Innovation. Design Management Review Vol. 16 No. 2

Green, J (2007) Democratizing The Future. Available: http://www.design.philips.com/shared/assets/Downloadablefile/democratizing-the-future-14324.pdf

Design Led Futures - The Design Led Futures (DLF) programme was established at Victoria University of Wellington's School of Design in 2004 and is led by led by Professor Simon Fraser. DLFs offers companies visions of the future. It explores possible scenarios for ten years into the future and attempts to expand the range of possibilities that a company can see by challenging what they currently do. It entices companies to take risks by offering believable future scenarios. http://www.designledfutures.com

Ramirez, E. R., Fraser, S, and Stevens, R. (2005) Future Scenarios and Product Design: A Contextual Model. Available: http://www.dis.uia.mx/conference/HTMs-PDFs/edgar_ramirez.htm

Design For Future Needs - A project, run for the European Commission by a group of European design and business organisations, that researched how design techniques for envisioning the future can benefit EC decision-makers' foresight planning and policy work. Its aim was to help them respond to emerging issues and trends from environmental pressures to technological change. It included five case studies of design led futures. Report available at:
http://www.beda.org/images/pdf/668bce9b7764d218d5f649e782191a17.pdf

Jensen, C (2005) Future Forecasts in Product Design: Guidelines to predicting the future. Available: http://www.ivt.ntnu.no/ipd/docs/pd9_2005/artikkel_Camilla_Jensen.pdf

Margolin, V (2007) Design, the Future and the Human Spirit. Design Issues: Volume 23, Number 3, Summer 2007

McCullagh, K (2008) Beyond the Schlock of the New: Eight strategies for design and foresight. Available: http://www.core77.com/blog/featured_items/beyond_the_schlock_of_the_new_eight_strategies_for_design_and_foresight_by_kevin_mccullagh_10912.asp

Keinonen, T & Takala, R (2006) Product Concept Design: A Review of the Conceptual Design of Products in Industry. Birkhäuser. Here three types of product concepting are explored: Product Development Concepts; Emerging Concepts; and Vision Concepts. Vision Concepts may be of particular relevance. Emerging and Vision Concepts embody many of the characteristics of future orientated design.

Irmak, O. Applying the Future Studies Approach to Design. Proceedings of EAD 06, 6th International conference of the European Academy of Design. March 29-31, 2005. Available: http://ead.verhaag.net/fullpapers/ead06_id2.pdf

Ratner, E (2007) Teaching Visionary Thinking to Product Designers Using Lessons from Utopian Science Fiction. EPDE Conference 2007, pp.253-258.

And finally... There is some of my work that may be of interest:

Evans, M & Sommerville, S (2007) A Design For Life: Futures Thinking in the Design Curriculum. Futures Research Quarterly (Journal of the World Future Society), Fall 2007. W: http://www.wfs.org/frq.htm

Cooper, R & Evans, M (2006) Breaking From Tradition: Market Research, Consumers Needs and Design Futures. Design Management Review (Journal of Design Management Institute), Winter 2006. ISSN 1045-7194, W: http://www.dmi.org/dmi/html/publications/journal/fullabstract_d.jsp?itemID=06171COO68

Evans, M & Sommerville, S (2006) Cross-cultural Universals: A Framework for Design Futures. Design and Emotion Conference 2006, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, September 2006. W: http://www.de2006.chalmers.se/

Evans, M (2005) I-SPY: Utilising Forecasting and Scenario Planning for Design Futures. European Academy of Design Conference, University of the Arts, Bremen, Germany, March 2005. W: http://ead06.hfk-bremen.de

Evans, M (2003) Trends Forecasting for Design Futures. European Academy of Design Conference, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain, April 2003. W: http://www.ub.es/5ead/8nature.html

If you have problems getting hold of the above, let me know As I may be able to help. Best of luck.

Martyn Evans
Senior Lecturer: Design
Lancaster University
T: +44 (0)1524 593435