DYSLEXIA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DYSLEXIA Home

DYSLEXIA  February 2009

DYSLEXIA February 2009

Re: Whole words

Graeme Wadlow <[log in to unmask]>

Discussions by and for dyslexic people <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:37:55 +0000

Hi Jean

I have no specific insight with regard to specific Whole Word teaching
programs, I am more interested in the different styles of teaching which
match the needs of those who have Auditory Processing Disorder (APD).
I have been on so many forums where the phonic approach  to teaching reading
is describes as the only way to teach reading and that the Whole Word
apprach is totally wrong. The problem is that those who have APD will
struggle or not be able to follow phonics based instruction for the teaching
of any subject and especially the teaching of reading.
So the question really is do you want APD children to be able to read or do
you want them to be able to use phonetic methods of reading. This are two
seperate issues. AODS will be able to read using whole word recognistion,
but some will never be able to process phonics.
Phonics is abased on the assumption that the learner has good listening
skills and is able to improve those listening skills. Those who have APD
have very poor listening skills and have little room for improvement.
(Auditory Processing is the medical term for listening)
So we need a alternative teaching method to help those who haver APD to
learn to read. And From my understanding of Whole Word this is how I taught
myself to read, and how other APDs taught themselves to read. Understanding
the finer points of phonics is irrelevent but learning to read is importnat
which ever route you have to take to learn these skills.
So the history of teaching of reading is about those who are best able to
use the phonetic apprach to reading and ignores those who have problems
using phonics such as those who have APD.

Whole Word programs are used in the USA and are recommended by
Visual-Spatial Resource
http://www.visualspatial.org/index.htm
especially in the article
Whole Word Reading Instruction
which can be downloaded from
http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/articles.htm

My understanding is that how I learnt to read was by a whole word approach,
and even to this day this is how I read. I am not able to use phonics to
understand new words although some remebered sound patterns can help.

I do not have all the answers regarding Whole Word, but i do have all of the
questions about how reading is taught and why the historcally preferred
options continually fail me, my children and others who have APD. So the
Teaching professionals have to learn about all of teaching methods of
teraching reading and stop discriminating against those who have APD by only
using phonics based teaching methods.

best wishes

Graeme